PMHNPs what do you prefer: Inpatient or Outpatient?

Specialties NP

Published

Specializes in Mental Health Nursing.

I am a new grad PMHNP and am currently interviewing for two outpatient positions (one is part-time) and an inpatient position on an acute psych unit. I really want to work inpatient and feel that would be the best way for me to gain the experience I need. I would like to hear about your preferences as a PMHNP.

Specializes in Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner.

If you "really want" to work inpatient, than work inpatient! From my NP colleagues that work inpatient, they say it definitely is more fast-paced and allowed them to have the steepest learning curve with the greatest amount of support around them.

Personally, I want to do outpatient. I am in a similar situation as you; I'm a newly graduated PMHNP. But I have a goal of starting my own practice and clinic so my focus is on outpatient at the moment. The beauty of this field, and especially as NPs, is that we can go anywhere we want and change it if we desire!

Best of luck to you.

-Michael

Outpatient. Closes on weekends, holidays, nights, and rarely is the patient belligerent.

It's all perspective.

Inpatient gets people on meds that can't be funded on the outpatient side with little idea of what outpatient care will entail despite modern case management and discharge planning, however, you have opportunity to experience the most acute and diverse population.

Outpatient is tasked with getting people well, yet these are people who, to some degree, are incapable of being well and often don't want to be at some level. So you see them every 2-3 months and any number of crazy occurrence could've happened to them to make what seemed like progress fall off a very high and Rocky cliff.

Then you have outpatient, private practice, elites who don't take psychotic patients and seldom see a manic patient. Meds for patients whose parents expected too much or people who work 21 hours per day. And they're often better educated than you are.

+ Add a Comment