BSN program hours (for non-RNs)

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

I'm applying to accelerated and traditional BSN programs (I'm not an RN and have a Bachelor's in psychology). For those in either program, what are the hours you spend in class and studying? I'm looking for hours on both programs. I'm dealing with a lot of anxiety over this because I have a two year old and plan on having another around the time I'd be starting nursing school (June 2019). Is it even possible to care for an infant and toddler (with my husband's help) and do well in nursing school? My expectation is it's going to be near impossible and I'll be seriously focused on school for roughly 12 hours a day. Is this realistic? Should it be helpful, I'm applying to Stony Brook and Molloy with my heart set on the former.

Specializes in OB, Case Management, Nurse Navigator.

Hello!

I did an ABSN program and can tell you that it requires a lot of extra work. I know I would go to class sometimes from 8-6 on or 5-8 on other days. Classes are variable and I felt I studied every minute I wasn't in class. I know I had classmates that had older children and that was hard for them, because they had to be at class/clinical rather than a school activity for their child. As long as you have good support, do what you think is best for your family. I feel that it would be hard to be mentally focused with a newborn, but that is what I feel and I don't really know you.

Honestly, as for studying, the answer is how dedicated you are as a person, and how much you want to study. ABSN is a lot faster and requires a lot more material to be studied for in a shorter amount of time. I was a freak about my grades, so I tended to he a little more anal about my studying.

To this debate about class schedules, better get used to rolling with it as a nurse. No shift ever goes exactly as you planned it. I understand it is frustrating, but there is nothing that can be done. Take a deep breath and I hope it works out for you all.

+ Add a Comment