Attention Grabber for Nursing Speech

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Hey there! I'm in an online Public Speaking class and I have to give an informative speech on my major (nursing/ADN). I need help figuring out an attention grabber about nursing for the beginning of the speech. I'm having a hard time coming up with something. Any ideas?

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

What is the exact focus of your presentation? What are you emphasizing in it? I would use a surprising statistic, question or scenario that relates directly to the message you will be emphasizing in your presentation.

Choose a key message for your presentation first. Then lead with an attention-grabbing stat, question or scenario about that key message.

What is the key message of your presentation going to be?

I'm just giving information about nursing for my speech, such as what the educational requirements are, licensing requirements, and job outlook. Those are my main topics. Nothing too fancy or in-depth.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.
I'm just giving information about nursing for my speech, such as what the educational requirements are, licensing requirements, and job outlook. Those are my main topics. Nothing too fancy or in-depth.

If I were in your situation, I would pick a "key message" to underlie that presentation -- such as the fact that nursing school may be harder to get into than they think ... or ... that nursing offers good career opportunities ... or that contemporary nursing is much more complex and exciting than they may think it is, etc. No one wants to listen to a recitation of dry, boring facts. People want to hear the facts add up to something, to have the presentation have a "point" to make. You have to have a reason for telling people these facts so that it is worth their effort to listen to you.

The fact that you don't have a point to make, is why you are struggling to find an attention grabber to begin with. Without a "point" to make, your presentation will be "pointless." Pick some reason for your presentation, some message worth listening to -- and that will lead to a natural attention-grabbing fact or story to lead with.

+ Add a Comment