Patient Care Associate vs Patient Sitter

Nursing Students Technicians

Published

Hi everyone,

I currently work in a doctor's office as a receptionist and really want a hospital position working as a PCA/PCT/Nursing Assistant. I've gone through two clinical rotations, have medical reception experience as well as hostess experience at a restaurant. I've applied to numerous PCA positions all at different hospitals near me. It's been a month since I've applied to my first one and I haven't received one call for an interview and just getting a little discouraged.

I also applied for one patient sitter position, but I'm not 100% sure this is a position I'm interested in, but I was called in for an interview. I am happy because at least I'll have an opportunity to be working in the hospital but I wanted more of a hands-on job where I'll be doing something a little more nursing related as I am currently in a nursing program.

Just wondering do I even have a chance for being called in for an interview for PCA as a nursing student? Is it at all good being a patient sitter as a student nurse over being a PCA?

Hi everyone,

I currently work in a doctor's office as a receptionist and really want a hospital position working as a PCA/PCT/Nursing Assistant. I've gone through two clinical rotations, have medical reception experience as well as hostess experience at a restaurant. I've applied to numerous PCA positions all at different hospitals near me. It's been a month since I've applied to my first one and I haven't received one call for an interview and just getting a little discouraged.

I also applied for one patient sitter position, but I'm not 100% sure this is a position I'm interested in, but I was called in for an interview. I am happy because at least I'll have an opportunity to be working in the hospital but I wanted more of a hands-on job where I'll be doing something a little more nursing related as I am currently in a nursing program.

Just wondering do I even have a chance for being called in for an interview for PCA as a nursing student? Is it at all good being a patient sitter as a student nurse over being a PCA?

Anyone who hires you as a PCA knows that you're going to be out the door as soon as you graduate ...and yet, there are plenty of nursing students that do get hired in some markets.

"Sitter" can mean different things to different people. As an RN, I've been a "sitter", but handled all charting and medication for my patient. PCAs are often utilized as sitters, too. They typically keep a patient clean and safe and take routine vitals. Another type of sitter I've encountered literally "sits". They don't change sheets. They don't reposition the patient in bed. They don't even touch the patient. If the patient starts to do something unsafe, they just ring the call bell ...practically useless individuals, IMO.

I tried to get a job as a CNA in nursing school, but I'm glad that I didn't succeed. The job I already had was flexible, familiar, and very low stress.

I really want a nursing assistant job because it would help so much more once I graduate having that hospital experience. I agree with you, my job is also flexible and low stress but it's really boring too. I don't interact with patients at all and all I do is pre-registration for my doctor's office.

Getting a nursing assistant job is proving to be a difficult deed to fulfill. Thank you so much for clearing up the sitter position.

Specializes in ICU Stepdown.

It depends on what responsibilities your hospital system gives sitters. I've worked in multiple hospital systems as a PCT and as a sitter. In one, sitters just sit and chart every 15 minutes. They don't do vital signs or patient care.

In another, the sitter is expected to do everything: vital signs, patient care, blood draws, charting, etc.

I don't mind being a sitter tbh because it gives me a break from taking care of 10-12 patients. I haven't had any horrific sitter cases and I know it's temporary since I graduate nursing school in less than a year, so I can tolerate it.

+ Add a Comment