Student Nurse Med Error

Students General Students

Published

You are reading page 3 of Student Nurse Med Error

dream'n, BSN, RN

1,162 Posts

Specializes in UR/PA, Hematology/Oncology, Med Surg, Psych.

Refine you 'brain sheet' Put an area on it for important information that you must check off before you leave. Sometimes running around busy and learning of or thinking of something important can lead you to forget. You might be involved in a complex, busy issue and forget the information you received. So what i do is write a quick synopsis on my brain sheet at that moment and make a square next to the task to be checked off. For example, if a patient is going to need Q 2 hour Neuro checks (which is out of the norm where I work), I'll place it on my brain sheet with check off boxes next to 2 hour intervals and if I don't have the time to chart real time, I'll make a note next to the checkbox to chart the results with the VS, time, and pertinent information for my note later.

Use your brain sheet to keep track of what needs done. I write all my diabetics down at the beginning of the shift with boxes for the blood sugar level and another for insulin information. I also put any labs I need to pull from PICCs or CL. Before I leave for the day, I check my brain sheet for any thing undone. It quickly lets me know that I've completed everything I needed to.

You don't need an excellent memory all the time with a through brain sheet. Box check offs are my life

+ Add a Comment