Number of Credits/Clinical Hours for MSN FNP Program

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Hello! I've been researching various FNP schools and have seen a wide range of number of credits required to graduate with an MSN. I've seen anywhere from 40 to 60+ credits. Does more credits necessarily mean a more well rounded and prepared FNP? Or are those extra credits mostly fluff classes? I know FNPs are supposed to be able to care for patients throughout the entire lifespan and I worry that some of the schools requiring less credits might not adequately prepare you. Is there a minimum amount of credits that seem to produce competent FNPs? I was kind of shocked that there is such a big range! Also I'm wondering about clinical hour requirements. I've seen a range from a minimum of 500-700+ hours required. Likewise, I'm sure the more clinical hours the better but is there a minimum amount that would make most FNPs feel competent for practice upon graduation? I want to go to a quality school where I'll feel adequately prepared and some of these 40 credit/500 clinical hour requirements scare me a little. Is this a justified fear or does it not really matter that much? Thanks ahead!

Hello! I've been researching various FNP schools and have seen a wide range of number of credits required to graduate with an MSN. I've seen anywhere from 40 to 60+ credits. Does more credits necessarily mean a more well rounded and prepared FNP? Or are those extra credits mostly fluff classes? I know FNPs are supposed to be able to care for patients throughout the entire lifespan and I worry that some of the schools requiring less credits might not adequately prepare you. Is there a minimum amount of credits that seem to produce competent FNPs? I was kind of shocked that there is such a big range! Also I'm wondering about clinical hour requirements. I've seen a range from a minimum of 500-700+ hours required. Likewise, I'm sure the more clinical hours the better but is there a minimum amount that would make most FNPs feel competent for practice upon graduation? I want to go to a quality school where I'll feel adequately prepared and some of these 40 credit/500 clinical hour requirements scare me a little. Is this a justified fear or does it not really matter that much? Thanks ahead!

You should be afraid. Most of the courses are indeed fluff.

500-700 is the average and means schools have that won't let you go above that. I pushed the limit the best I could.

Your fears are real, good luck.

+ Add a Comment