Please Help: Overwhelmed New Grad @ LTC/SNF/Rehab -quitting orientation

Nurses New Nurse

Published

1. Should I leave orientation with less than 2 weeks notice?

yes, don't give 2 weeks notice, but you could be reported to BON for patient abandonment
      yes, don't give 2 weeks notice, because you won't have any issues with BON/patient abandonment
      no, GIVE two weeks notice, and work until then

Hello Fellow Nurses,

Nice to meet you all.

I recently graduated as an ADN nurse, and I am nearing the end of my orientation at a Long Term Care/Rehab/Skilled Nursing facility of 2 weeks. However I feel a bit overwhelmed because I don't feel ready for orientation to be over. I requested for another week of orientation which they allowed, but I don't know if I can work in their circumstances for another week. The past few days I have been leaving in tears, and leaving WAY after my shift.

In our facility, there are only 1-2 RN's, 5-6 CNA's to 40 patients.

They gave me a preceptor but she does not work on my shift (but she recommended that I call or text her if I need anything).

Technically, I have only oriented "on the floor" for about a week (the other week was classroom). One of my biggest issues is passing out meds to my half of the 20 patients on time. There were a few days where I was still giving meds AFTER my shift was over.

I have one other nurse who was supposed to be orienting me but unfortunately since we were understaffed, she had to spend the shift giving out meds as well. So technically, as an orientee, I was given an "assignment" of giving meds to 20 patients- which I do not mind ...IF someone was supervising me.

I know it sounds ridiculous that I spent the whole shift basically giving out meds, but there were many factors that influenced this delay. There were many distractions, because it was a LTC/SNF/Rehab facility, many of the patients require a long list of medications which require some form of assessment, also this is my first nursing job and to be honest, I felt really scared that I was messing something up or that my delay in medications was going to cause complications or health related issues to the patients.

Because I was new, I had to run back and forth to my nurse/mentor but I could tell that she was overwhelmed too, and didn't have much time to teach or help me. I was "alone" doing my own med pass for about 85% of the shift, and the other 15% was my mentor helping me (I don't blame her , because we were unfortunately understaffed).

My mentor did speak to the manager the previous day about getting more help so that she could properly orient me, but even after she spoke to the manager, there wasn't much "help" given as it was only me and her on the floor of 40 patients , and 5-6 CNA/PCTs.

I was so overwhelmed a few nights ago that I actually left 3-4 hours after my shift was over, even with the help of other nurses.

I am really thankful for their help but I am really scared that I could harm a patient and that I could lose my license since I do not feel ready, and because of my delays in giving out the medications in time.

I was offered a position at a new grad residency program that I applied to before taking this current job, so I am thinking of taking it.

Since I am still currently in orientation with the LTC/SNF/Rehab facility, do I still need to give "two weeks notice"?

Can I "resign" from the orientation via an email to HR? Or is it better to do it in person with a letter?

Can they report this to the BON as "patient abandonment" if I leave orientation without 2 weeks notice?

Thank you for reading...I really appreciate any help/advice you can give! :nurse:

I don't know anything about whether quitting after two weeks equals patient abandonment. I feel like it probably doesn't? If you walked off the floor mid-shift and never came back, yeah I think that would be patient abandonment. But quitting? I don't think does? Again, I'm not sure. Either way, that sounds like an awful situation to be in. Especially being a new grad and not getting adequate or proper orientation. I hope you find a solution, either by leaving and finding a new job or your workplace making sure you're prepared.

+ Add a Comment