The Business of Recovery

Nurses Recovery

Published

The John Oliver Show last night addressed the Rehab industry nationwide. This included the fact that there is almost no federal oversight, many states require no license or certification to provide rehab services, the sketchy "success" numbers rehabs quote, the lack of evidence based practice in Rehab treatment, and the fact that urine is considered "liquid gold" among Rehabs and that this is a multi billion dollar industry. He frequently referenced the documentary "The Business of Recovery". I knew that this system was broken and poorly regulated, but I hope that the public can begin demanding action from legislators and the government to regulate this industry better. While we in Nursing Recovery have had poor experiences with the "Rehab Machine", this is affecting thousands of people each day, and the poor regulation and money grab is costing people their lives. With the exploding opioid crisis many states are facing, Rehab is no longer a place where rich people go to get clean, or a place the most hardened of addicts go to avoid jail. Its moms, dads, sons, daughters, families and professionals looking for real help to keep from dying and get their lives back on track. And the fact that professional peer assistance programs utilize these facilities and often mandate participants to attend these programs, there should be better regulation and a true disservice.

Specializes in Emergency.
I agree. And with the rate of relapse being what it is, how can they regulate or monitor efficacy? A person who is ready to get sober could go to the state detox, with a rat for a roommate. Someone who isn't ready to get sober could go to the Betty Ford clinic and relapse immediately. Such inexact science with variable outcomes and everything in the world hinging on completion.

"inexact" interesting choice of words...how about ZERO science...for all of us involved in this abhorrent Kafka-esque existence only "endurance" seems plausible.

WTH?!?!?!

Three years of sobriety and they are going to now decide you need treatment? Oh man, this is my fear. I am attempting reinstatement with 13 plus years. Honestly, if they demand treatment, this many years sober, I will likely decline and never get my license back.

Stay strong girlie!

Thanks! I went back for the cognitive testing today. And this doctor also said there was no recommendation for tx. He said I performed well. And that if there is nothing to treat (as I have been in recovery for years) then there is nothing to treat! He said it would essentially be unethical for them to force me into tx. And then proceeded to say I would likely just go straight into monitoring. He was a nice man, and I'll hold onto that hope for now. But, i know better as the lady over my case at the facility told me again today that i would have to do tx (same lady who told me on third day I didn't need any until speaking with the monitoring lady). So, that is two doctors saying there is no need and it will be in their reports.

"inexact" interesting choice of words...how about ZERO science...for all of us involved in this abhorrent Kafka-esque existence only "endurance" seems plausible.

Yep from what I've read and seen ZERO science about sums it up. These programs are about punishing, shaming and grabbing as much money as humanly possible from nurses. The real shame of these program is that ultimately it's nurses imposing this garbage on other nurses. There is a hateful, self-hating underbelly to nursing which I cannot explain. Before my DUI I was a nurse who strongly identified myself as such. Now nursing is just a job. It's a job I do well but I will never, ever trust other nurses as a whole because of the judgement and treatment I've been subjected on a personal level. I'm done explaining or apologizing for my DUI. I paid my debt to society and the BON is devouring its pound of flesh and every dime they can get their flesh ridden fangs on. As far as the rehab industry what a disgraceful, criminal lot they are. It's a simple con. They charge folks billions to tell them to go to meetings which seem to have little lasting effect that are free. A complete non-scientific scam based on some old, dead drunk's "vision" from god when he was going through DTs. Beyond ridiculous.

"They charge folks billions to tell them to go to meetings which seem to have little lasting effect that are free. A complete non-scientific scam based on some old, dead drunk's "vision" from god when he was going through DTs. Beyond ridiculous."

I could not have said it better myself. The "vision" portion was my favorite because you know that is EXACTLY what happened. *Insert censored, shortened version of laughing really hard that is also a band that sings trendy club songs*

+ Add a Comment