Non compliant Diabetic Students

Specialties School

Published

I am a high school nurse and I'm having a bit of an issue with my some of my diabetic students (I have 5).. they are frequently forgetting to report to my office for their 'before lunch' accuchecks, they all require supervision, and insulin coverage to be administered for carbs to be eaten + a sliding scale.

The kids are getting out of class 5 min early before lunchtime, so they can be the first to get their meal and then are supposed to report straight to my office..

I have reminded them daily to do so, I have sent out messages to the teachers so they know to release them early before lunch, and even sometimes I preemptively call the teacher and tell them to ensure they come here (and even then sometimes they no-show!).

It is happening too frequently, and I then need to pull them out of their 5th period and have them miss class to test and they have then already eaten.

I'm not sure if it is time to involve parents? Calls? Letters home?

What would you do in this situation? Any tips or help would be much appreciated.

Specializes in School nursing.

^above is great - thanks for that perspective!

I love diabetic camps - several of the students I've worked have gone to one and they tend to be more compliant and more independent. And the kids that have gone to them love it and I have them show a new thing they learned at camp that summer - I've had more success with them teaching me vs me teaching them. Plus, I learn something new as well ;).

+ Add a Comment