starting nursing school in four days, and haven't taken my pre-reqs in years: am I doomed?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I'm actually asking this for a friend (I'm already in nursing school)

my friend is starting nursing school next week, hasn't taken her pre-reqs in years (and claims to have forgotten everything) and is wondering how "doomed" she is.

she also has no medical experience

the reason I'm asking rather than just answering is because I had just taken my pre-reqs before starting so I am not the best one to answer

any thoughts??

She'll be fine. Maybe she'll have to spend a bit more time on pathophysiology but she'll be fine. Nursing does not require in depth knowledge of any of the prereqs, just a general sense... the rest you can look up.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

I wouldn't say 'doomed' but certainly is making the learning curve a LOT steeper. Has your friend done ANY review leading up to this? If not, why not? And if not, it doesn't speak well of the desire to be a good nurse IMHO.

she has two jobs and two kids. also, she didn't think that she even got into nursing school until about a week ago (she was on the waiting list and one person dropped out)

Definitely not doomed. Most of my pre-reqs were 5-7 years old. I put off going to nursing school for years, finally It was the right time for me. Sometimes I just have to read a little more for understanding or watch videos to refresh my memory.

Not doomed on the pre-req front. However, the 2 jobs has me worried. Your friend is likely going to have to put in some extra work. Even for students who are fresh off of their pre-req courses, just managing 1 job and school is incredibly difficult. I am very worried they have 2 to worry about.

haha yeah, it would be a little insane but she plans on quitting and only working part-time from time to time once school starts! ;]

+ Add a Comment