Requests for students to do clinicals

Specialties Educators

Published

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Okay, I have been tossed in the deep end. My boss is no longer with the company. All the schools we do clinicals with are hitting me up for summer placements. This was never part of my position, but so far we have not hired anyone and it is falling to me. I have no idea what I am doing.

How do you organize this? How can you tell if what they are requesting is "too much" for the staff here? How involved are the floor managers in placing students with them? (one is complaining).

I am getting palpitations. I have no idea the legalities and there is nobody here to guide me

I am assuming you are a hospital educator. This is how it works at our hospital. A spreadsheet is given to all the unit educators to indicate how many students they can accommodate. It is usually 1 day and 1 night depending on what's going on on the unit. The bsn students usually require several hours so consider new hires that need precepting when making a decision. Once responses are received from the individual units, assign based on that. I would try to locate the old record from last year and present it as..."last summer your unit precepts 2 students, if that needs to be adjusted let me know by...." If not, please provide names of the preceptors and their contact information"....the students are usually responsible for reaching out to preceptor and scheduling themselves.

+ Add a Comment