ADHD nurse

Nurses Disabilities

Published

Hi all. I am a nurse with ADHD and I currently don't take any medications. I used to be on Adderall and then Vyvanse but I was developing tolerance really fast and I was worried about addiction so I stopped taking it. Currently I work night as a 11 -7 supervisor in LTC/ sub acute rehab and I am struggling. I am worried about getting in trouble, I am having all the symptoms of ADHD and I feel like eventually it will catch up to me. Do you ADHD nurses have any strategies or tips on managing adhd in nursing without meds? or maybe a specialty that you thing is a good fit for ADHD nurse? thank you

I'm not a nurse I'm just to CMA. But I do have ADHD. I do take medication but it doesn't 100% help I need other tricks to help me out. Try a flowsheet that really works for me and helps me from forgetting those little things that everyone else seems to be able to remember.

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

I have ADD. it's hard sometimes. What has healed is realizing that I have to find the way that works for me. The workflow and techniques that others use may just not for me. I try to approach things differently until I find SOMETHING that get me to an acceptable level of error (knowing that humans can never be zero).

LTC was not good for me. I realized I had to keep a brain sheet with check boxes and orderly notes. I had to double check my MARs I would always miss one of those little boxes. Follow up charting had to be done as soon as possible but also all at once I couldn't do a note here and then a bit there as I got the time because I would absolutely drop things.

I transitioned to Pediatric Home Health and love it. One client (sometimes pretty sick) but lots of time to get things done and let my brain wonder.

I wouldn't call myself successful at LTC. I have been Successful at PDN, camp nursing, and dialysis. But PDN is best for me.

I too have ADHD and was the 3-11 supervisor for about a year and a half at my current job at a sub-acute/LTC facility. I am currently on Adderall, but it is definitely not enough for my ADHD, and most of the time, I actually feel like there is no difference as to whether I take it or not. Strangely enough, I found that supervising was actually a good fit for me as someone with ADHD... Personally, I tend to get bored/forgetful when I am stuck in one place, especially if there's not much going on. As evening supervisor, I was constantly on the move, which my "hyperactivity" was well suited for... going from unit to unit assisting with multiple admissions, emergencies, acute discharges to hospital, etc. I also enjoyed helping to teach/train new nurses. As far as my "attention-deficit" part goes, I relied heavily on taking notes/creating reminders for myself. I also made check off boxes on my notes for things that need to be done/followed up on, and everything was always color-coded. Made life way easier for me.

However, working 3-11 is rough, and I could no longer handle the hours (I'm married with 2 kids and was missing out on so much). I switched to being a floor nurse on our busiest unit on 11-7, which I really enjoy. On my unit, we have a nursing assignment Word document that we constantly update and print out at the start of the shift. I make sure to add all the necessary notes and make my check-off boxes. If I can't chart on something right away, I make a note and a check off box so I can do it later. Honestly, check off boxes are my LIFE!!! As end of shift approaches, I always make sure that every box is checked off.

I have also casually disclosed my ADHD to my coworkers after working there for a while and gaining their trust. For me personally, I feel like this takes a big load off my shoulders and I have felt way more comfortable since doing so. I have not been judged or discriminated, and we can even joke around about it, which I don't mind at all. If worse comes to worse, I just jokingly play the "disability" card then ask them what THEIR excuse is... We all crack on each other, that's how we survive... But all jokes aside, all of the nurses and CNAs to this day still call me the best supervisor ever, and I lasted much longer than any of the other 3-11 supervisors before and after me (we actually currently have no FT supervisor on 3-11, because NO ONE wants that job!).

I have always loved wound care, and decided to get my wound care certification. Ideally, I would love a job focused in this specialty, but I have had a hard time findng one, but I still have hope, and I'm still looking... If there is a specialty you really enjoy, my advice would be to get certification/look for a job in that area. We ADHD-ers tend to do best in areas we truly enjoy.

+ Add a Comment