Uncertain which school to go to

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi everyone,

After six years of working retail jobs and a lot of soul searching, I finally made the decision to go into nursing. I want to start out as an LVN since the programs where I live are easy to get into (no waiting list) and last 13-16 months. I'm so fed up with feeling unfulfilled in retail. Quite frankly, I am ready for a change and I feel extremely motivated and hopeful about becoming a LVN.

But... I don't know which school to go to and I feel stuck.

1- Brightwood College in Van Nuys

I like this school, despite it being a for-profit college. Their current transfer to a different accrediting agency makes me nervous since no one can guarantee that the school will become accredited and won't lose their Title IV.

2 - College of Nursing in Canoga Park

Overall, my impression of this school wasn't a very good one. It is privately run and is one of the cheapest schools I've toured.

3 - PMCI in Westlake Village

I haven't actually toured PCMI but I do know they have really high succes rates. The total cost would be around 26k if you pay everything before class starts and I think that's just way too much...

4 - Marian College in Van Nuys

I just got accepted to the program. My remaining tuition would be 11k without loans. Taking clinical in downtown LA makes me worry one day I won't get there on time and fail the program. Also, I believe their succes rates are even lower than Brightwood.

Sadly where I live, in West Hills CA, there are no adult schools or community colleges that offer the LVN program so I have to chose between a for-profit school or for a private one. Every day I keep comparing them, weighing pros and cons, but I can't seem to figure it out. Any advice or suggestions? I'm really confused...

Thanks.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Is it possible for you to relocate somewhere cheaper to live with better options? for example, the community college system in Indiana has accredited LPN programs in a dozen or more locations around the state for under 10k total. Great NCLEX pass rates, terrific job market post-graduation.

Just a thought

Sorry, I don't have much information to contribute. But I was hoping to see if you decided on a school? I live in Thousand Oaks and was also looking into LVN programs near by. Thanks!

+ Add a Comment