Arrived in assigned city, getting the runaround?!

Specialties Travel

Published

Hello, I am a first time traveler with HWS (travel/per diem agency for HCA). My contract start date was for 2/25 (13 weeks, 36 hours/week guaranteed) with the understanding that I would be in orientation on Mon 2/26. The previous week I kept asking my recruiter what time I was supposed to be at orientation on Mon, and she said she would make sure I had all of that info prior to starting. Well, on Sun 2/25 I drove to my assigned city. I texted my recruiter before I left letting her know I was headed out and she replied "did my assistant send you your first day info?" I told her no. She stated she hadn't received an email from the hospital's HR department yet but she would let me know on Monday morning. She told me to just be ready to report to work when I get a call on Monday.

So, Monday 2/26 arrives, I get up early, shower, put on my scrubs and patiently wait. My recruiter calls me in the late AM asking if I've received first day info yet. I told her no, unless she or her assistant just emailed it to me just now. She stated the hospital should have called me. She tells me to hang tight while she investigates what's going on. Later on that day I get a call from HWS's local staffing office stating they were trying to coordinate with the hospital to get shifts scheduled for me this week and that I should get a call back. I relay the info to my recruiter and she says this is great news.

Fast forward to today. STILL NO INFO. NO CALLS. NO INFO from my recruiter. I have spent money on a hotel room for three nights so far not knowing what the heck is going on. Is this common in travel? I am frustrated because the onboarding process was difficult enough as it is, and now I have no idea if I am going to be able to work. I assumed I would be to orientation on Monday, get my badge, learn the unit, and work out a schedule with the unit manager right away.

Any info on whether this is common practice would be greatly appreciated.

Sales people in any business try to gain an exclusive. I was looking for an office once and the leasing agent wanted me to sign an exclusive contract. I told her my boss would never go for that. That could be fairly standard for all I know in high end office leasing, but recruiters will sell value and some may do a negative sell guilt trip on you.

Personally, I think having several agencies fully signed up is vital. Give your recruiters full disclosure that you are/will be working with other agencies on an ongoing basis. If they make a fuss, drop them. Lots of fish in the sea. Without several business relationships, you won't have Plan B ready in circumstances like this one (unfortunate it was your first assignment), nor will you know your fair market value, or which agencies pay the best (or treat you the best perhaps more importantly). Shop around before you commit to even being submitted to an open assignment. It is horrible to commit and then find out you've been low balled or your recruiter is a (fill in the blank).

Thank you NedRN!

+ Add a Comment