Quantitative literacy or Statistics

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

I'm planning on taking a math class over the summer along with chemistry, and I'm stuck between quantitative lit and statistics. I don't even want to take a math class but I feel if I can do well at it, it could really boost my points for entry into the nursing program.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

Is statistics required for your nursing program? Is the statistics class that you're considering one that counts toward your nursing? If yes to both, there's your answer.

Neither is actually required, they just said these were optional courses though it would be a good idea to get at least ONE math class under my belt. More people I know seem to be taking quantitative literacy than statistics, not sure why.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

I'm not even sure what "Quantitative Literacy" IS! Statistics I know. I had to take it as an undergrad and then again in graduate school. It has a reputation (possibly well-deserved) for being a very difficult class. All I know is, the math helped me to understand some of the relationships between hemodynamic parameters in the ICU, made it incredibly easier to set up drug calculation problems and made me a whole lot more confident in balancing my checkbook. Math is your friend!

+ Add a Comment