Does your motivation ever waver?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I've been in school for about 5 weeks now, I think, working on pre-requisites for my nursing program. For the first time in my higher education, I am making all As, after putting in hours of work and studying everyday in an attempt to throw out the "old me," who would never even consider looking over our material unless it was for 30 minutes, an hour before the exam started.

I think it was probably the second week of school that I started to slack off, for the majority of the week, and I thought that meant for certain that I was "losing it" but I obviously bounced back on track. This entire week, however, I've felt no motivation towards school work and I feel even worse than before. My partner tells me this is normal and that I will bounce back by next week, but I've never been a good student and it's almost in my nature to lose interest after whatever amount of time, so I'm more anxious about this than maybe I need to be. :sorry:

Has anybody else experienced low moments during nursing school or while doing pre-requisites that made you slack on your work? Were you able to still pull through and get As?

If this type of studying schedule is new to you, then I wouldn't worry that some lack of motivation or bumps indicating that you're going to turn back into "old you." It's going to take a bit for you to get used to it. Even then, I think there are times that everyone doesn't really want to study. Just keep on yourself to ensure you are getting what you need done.

But for me, there's a point in which sitting down to study or do schoolwork isn't about "motivation." It's more... habit, I guess? I view it more as one of the things I just need to do that day, like eating dinner or taking out the trash. My motivation doesn't factor too much into it. At least like 90/95% of the time. There are some days that I just can't, of course, but otherwise, it's just something that I have to do.

I agree with the above - it's all new so you're still in an adjustment period.

It might also be that you're going "too" hard - studying too much and wearing yourself out.

I tend to study in 20 minute increments, then take at least a 10 minute break. Studying is a habit you have to develop. Try to keep your eyes on the prize.

I experience this all of the time. Especially in 1st semester in nursing school and then my 3rd or 4th week this semester. But I'm trying to get back in the game currently as OB is kicking my butt.

I say to try to find a new study environment because sometimes studying in the same location every single time can get a little repetitive. Also when you are studying, or sitting down to do school work then take a much breaks as you need to stay on track. Also set a study schedule for yourself and make sure study within those time constraints to keep yourself productive because when you allow your self too much free time away from your school work, you most usually don't wont to go back to it. I find that I study better in the morning than at night and I more focused around those hours, so I always wake up and study or do homework.

Thanks for the responses, everyone~

It might be that I need to just allow myself to have some "free time" a little bit everyday to help me keep motivated. I've always relished any free time I have, even when over-indulging in it. I always have something that I want to do so it's difficult to put aside my interests to study for several hours a day... And then I think about how it's going to be like this for the next 4 or so years and I start to lose focus. :unsure: But your responses have helped me put it into perspective, so I appreciate it!

+ Add a Comment