Will this kind of volunteering help?

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Hey allnurses! I am currently a nursing major at a community college in Southern California. I've heard that it is very hard to get accepted into the nursing programs around here. Anywho, I know some nursing programs like to see that you devoted some time into volunteering so I picked up an application at my local hospital. The hospital told me that alot of the volunteering will involve clerical work and maybe some time on the floors like the ER. My question is, if I decided to volunteer and was only told to do clerical work, will a nursing program look at this as volunteering even though I wasn't able to volunteer on an actual floor?Sorry in advance if my question is silly.

Not a silly question at all! I would say it largely depends on the program you are applying to. The program I applied to limits volunteer hours to being involved in direct patient care, but does give consideration to people who work at hospitals they consider "partners" (I am not sure if this is if they work as a CNA, do clerical work, etc. though). If you would like to get direct patient care, I would recommend looking into the C.O.P.E. Health Scholars Program. One friend finished her volunteer hours and my other friend just got accepted into the program. Best wishes!

Thanks for the reply! & I've never heard of that program . I'll look to see if they have it in my area. I wanted to get my cna license this semester of school but my schedule is crazy right now so I think I'll just have to push it to next semester.

Thanks for the reply! And I've never heard of that program . I'll look to see if they have it in my area. I wanted to get my cna license this semester of school but my schedule is crazy right now so I think I'll just have to push it to next semester.

Thanks for the reply! And I've never heard of that program . I'll look to see if they have it in my area. I wanted to get my cna license this semester of school but my schedule is crazy right now so I think I'll just have to push it to next semester.

You're welcome! I'm not sure exactly where it is offered, but I know for sure Southern California. If you look around you school, you might find CNA programs with sessions designed for students at a particular school OR there are many with weekend options as well. I decided volunteering was a better option for me and my schedule, but I do wish I had the chance to become a CNA.

You're welcome! I'm not sure exactly where it is offered, but I know for sure Southern California. If you look around you school, you might find CNA programs with sessions designed for students at a particular school OR there are many with weekend options as well. I decided volunteering was a better option for me and my schedule, but I do wish I had the chance to become a CNA.

Thanks you very much! I just emailed whoever was in charge of the program. The closest one I found was in Riverside which isn't even far from me. It seems very convenient. Especially the summer intense one however I think I'll have to save up a little for that one.

+ Add a Comment