Optune Device Supplies

Specialties Oncology

Published

Specializes in Case Manager/Administrator.

This device for recurrent glioblastoma sounds like it helps... has anyone had patients on this longer than 6 months? Is it helpful? Just wondering as I have approved a few and 2 have been longer than 6 months.

I have had a few on it for longer than 6 months. One patient actually wore it for over a year and a half before he progressed and needed more surgery.

We've had many patients treated with Optune with very good results. I have had several patients to wear it long past 6 months, in fact I have a few that have been wearing it 2-3 years and one at over 4 years. The prescription is good for 6 months and so it must be renewed at the end of this time. Some of my patients have actually had tumor regression and one had a CR after about a year on treatment with minimal side effects. It's nice to have something new to offer our GBM patients.

We have had many patients on OPTUNE in our NeuroOncology practice who have had excellent responses to this treatment. OPTUNE with Temodar chemo is category 1 now in the NCCN guidelines - to offer patients upfront as part of their treatment option (after completing radiation/chemo). It about doubles survival at 5 years for GBM patients - so those patients with good response definitely continue to wear OPTUNE beyond 6 months! Also there are lots of videos for patients considering OPTUNE available on the internet just by googling OPTUNE and each state has certified prescribers.

+ Add a Comment