Transition from Psych to Med Surg

Specialties Med-Surg

Published

Hi all :)

I am a new grad working in psych. I'm on the hunt for a med surg job and I need some advice as to what I can do to use my psych experience to help get a med surg job. I'd like to think I have some sort of advantage over a new grad with no job. I'm wondering what duties/responsibilities of a psych nurse I can hilight (and put on my resume) that would really translate well in a med surg setting.

Thanks

Hi all :)

I am a new grad working in psych. I'm on the hunt for a med surg job and I need some advice as to what I can do to use my psych experience to help get a med surg job. I'd like to think I have some sort of advantage over a new grad with no job. I'm wondering what duties/responsibilities of a psych nurse I can hilight (and put on my resume) that would really translate well in a med surg setting.

Thanks

I worked psych for 2 1/2 years (1st job out of school), and was displaced to a med-surg floor. In my opinion, the psych background definitely helped!! Patients rarely come in with one problem, and alot of them have some psych issues. You can use your therapeutic communication skills (alot of patients just want to talk.), your "BS detector" skills, and your CPI skills (for those little old ladies that sundown! ;) ) I feel extremely well rounded after only being an RN for 4 years because I feel I am able to relate to "both" sides. :) Getting the MS skills under your belt is the best thing! Once you master that, you can go anywhere! And who knows? Maybe it will be psych! :) One thing I find kinda funny.....Anytime there is a "difficult" patient, or a "Crazy person"- he/she usually becomes my patient! LOL!! Good luck!!

I agree with the above poster. My first job was psych and I transitioned to med/surg. You will always have psych patients no matter where you go! Your background should definitely give you an edge to get the med/surg job!

+ Add a Comment