2013 UCSF MEPN Applicants

Nursing Students Post Graduate

Published

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply for the 2013 cycle of MEPN at UCSF (application date would be September 1 of this year). I'll be applying for psych/mental health, and it will be my first time applying to this program. I was wondering if anyone else is out there who is applying for the 2013 cycle. I'm hoping we could share encouragement and tips!

Also, there's a thread for 2012 applicants- definitely check that out too. :)

I have a question about Letters of Recommendation..

They say "a minimum of 4, maximum of 5" so I was planning on submitting 5.. But I remember hearing that if you don't get in the first time, you can submit an additional letter of recommendation (the ones from the previous year would stay on file), so is that what the 5th on is for?

Hello everyone!

I also am planning on applying to the MEPN program this September 1st. I am applying to the APNN program to become a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner. I have been brainstorming what I would write in my goal statement for the last year....and today I attempted to something coherent together - tough!

Good luck to everyone, and I look forward to continuing this conversation through our acceptance!

Also, thank you, Doulamama for the advice you posted earlier.

@ MimiAzu

I think you are fine submitting 5 letters of rec. I, too, interpreted the "minimum 4, maximum 5" as just that and also plan on submitting 5. if the 5th spot was for the second time around, they probably would just ask for 4. But it can't hurt to call and ask!

hi everyone - figure I should join the conversation, too. I'll be applying to the MEPN Nurse-Midwifery track, reaaally hoping to get in the first time around! I've made an insanely hectic summer schedule for myself just to get the pre-reqs done in time. I've got a decent amount of volunteer experience and some doula work and a background in human rights, but it really seems to be unpredictable as to who gets in and who doesn't. Good luck to everyone!

Hello folks,

I am also planning to apply for the 2013 MEPN - in the Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner specialty. Thanks to DoulaMama and all who have offered their advice; that is SO helpful!

I attended the May information session. I recommend attending one if at all possible. Shirley Manly-Lampkin spoke, the assistant dean of academic services. She said some specific things like that they don't look at the the Math portion of the GRE and that you don't even need to take that part. Yikes, I would double check that before you leave it out altogether but that is what she said. Also she said they ONLY look at your (my) undergraduate GPA, not your pre-req GPA. That is sad for me since I have a 4.0 in pre-reqs but only a 3.5 in undergrad. Darn! She also strongly suggested that you ask for 6 letters of recommendation. I guess she is assuming that one of your recommenders will not come through on time. She said they accept up to 5 letters for your application. (I don't know what they do with the 6th one, if they all come through.)

I have a couple of questions. 1. Has anyone else been able to get the application yet? They said it would be up July 1 but I don't see it anywhere yet.

2. Those of you who got in, what percentile did your GRE scores fall in?

They have changed the GRE scores. I got a 167 (for example) out of 170 in the Verbal part. That's a 98th percentile, which is great. But then I got a 4.0 on my Analytical Writing. That is only 48th percentile. Ugh. (My Math came out at the 67th percentile.)

I'm wondering if I have a chance to get in with those scores/percentiles. I'm planning to take it again but who knows if I'll improve.

Other things from the info session: The statements are all about "passion." The area they get the fewest applications for is peds, which surprised me.

I look forward to sharing info and the process with you. Good luck to us all.

Specializes in Midwifery/Women's Health.

I am also applying to the nurse-midwifery + women's health nurse practitioner joint specialty. I've heard the most competitive specialties are the nurse-midwifery and family nurse practitioner ones. I'm a little nervous about applying because my GPA and GRE scores aren't very high but I do have a lot of volunteer/work experience. It sounds like everyone here also has great doula volunteer background...so it will be competitive! Does anyone know the stats behind how many applicants UCSF receives and how many students are actually accepted? Thanks!

Hi scwolf! I called into their office last week and they are aiming to have the application ready to go around July 9th. That's only 4 days from now :o Thank you for all the information from the meeting. I wanted to attend one but couldn't because of work.

Hi Doulamama!

I am applying to the nurse-midwifery specialty and am really nervous about the whole process. My GRE and GPA stats aren't very high... and I was hoping my volunteering and work experience would help balance my application. I'm working diligently on my personal statement right now but am trouble with the flow and connectivity of my anecdotes. Do you think it's important to clarify why my grades are low or should I concentrate my statement on why I want to be a nurse with support from my experiences?

I got in on my second try to the nurse-midwifery specialty. Here are some stats...My GPA was around 3.8, my GRE math/verbal scores were low (I think combined around 1050 or 1100?-- i took it twice). However, I think my writing was high around a 5 or 5.5-- I am just not the best standardized test taker. I had well-rounded volunteer work, both birth and non-birth related, local and international. I also made the step toward working full-time in the birth community by establishing my own business and have attended a good number of births. I had a good and honest goal statement and personal history statement. Year 1 of my personal history statement talked about life's hardships (but next time I decided nobody wants to hear too many boo-hoo stories...so I tried a different strategy for year 2 and talked about positive things in my life that lead me toward midwifery). In my goal statement I discussed why I wanted to be a NURSE first and foremost.

Some advice:

1) Keep moving in a forward direction with your volunteer work... take on more of a leadership role. For example, I didn't just do a few volunteer births as a doula, I wrote curriculum for doula trainings, taught classes, etc.... when your leadership skills are being evaluated, show them that you are a leader and the steps that you take in your volunteer work is just one way to do that

2) If you are going to keep applying if you don't get in, show that you are doing more and diverse things and truly re-evaluate your goal statement vs. just regurgitating the same information

3) If you don't get in or you get wait-listed and UCSF really is your top choice, write them a letter and let them know that you are serious about attending their school. Also, have community members send additional letters of support separate from your other letters. You want to stand out and you want your name known

4) Keep your goal statement and personal history statement short and sweet and to the point! Don't repeat information.

I am happy to provide more info around interview time or if anyone wants to PM me. Because of my diverse volunteer experience I had a lot of anecdotal stories to share about nursing when it came time to interview and I found this very helpful in being able to provide concrete examples. Good luck!

For those of you who are interested, our class had ~500 applications. 125 were selected to interview. We have a class of ~60. Hope that helps!

Hi kdiem,

Thanks for the update on the application schedule. I looked back at some threads from past years and saw that the applications opened then around July 18. The 9th would be great though.

Those of you who are writing your personal statements, what format are you using? I want to start mine but I don't know what question(s) they ask.

Hi scwolf,

This is where I found a short description about what they are looking for in our goal statements.

What are the Deadlines and Application Schedule for MEPN? | UCSF School of Nursing

"Your essay should be as specific as possible and focus on your understanding of the nursing profession, your personal goals as a nurse and how you envision these goals can be achieved through study at UCSF. This goal statement is about two double-spaced typewritten pages in length;....."

Hope this helps! Have fun!

That's perfect, sunrunner. Thank you!

+ Add a Comment