Accredited Public NonProfit
BSN MSN RN-to-BSN NP Accelerated BSN
- Location(s) Texas
- Telephone 1-832-842-8200
- Request Information
The University of Houston (UH), a public institution, was established in 1927.
5 Year NCLEX Pass Rates
- 2018 - 98.75%
- 2017 - 100%
- 2016 - 100%
- 2015 - 100%
- 2014 - 95.45%
RN to BSN
The RN-BSN program is designed for the working RN who wants to advance from an associate's degree or diploma education level to the BSN. The program is offered at the UH-Sugar Land campus and UH-main campus. Nurses in this program continue to live and work in the Sugar Land and greater Houston communities. It is possible to finish the program in as little as one year.
Admission Criteria (not all inclusive)
- Graduate from an accredited associate degree or diploma program
- Unencumbered, current Texas Registered Nurse license
Second Degree BSN
The Second Degree BSN is for students who hold a bachelor's or master's degree in another field. Currently, this program is offered at the UH-Sugar Land campus in Sugar Land, Texas, near Houston. The upcoming admission to this fast track BSN program is Spring 2018.
Requirements for Undergraduate Second Degree BSN Admission (not all inclusive)
- Submit official transcript(s) from college or university attended
- Graduate from an accredited baccalaureate degree program
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and GPA of 3.0 in natural and behavioral sciences
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS VI) as the school approved pre-admission test
- Applicants must satisfy the UH College of Nursing Policy for Clinical readiness requirements
Frequently Asked Questions
Is CPR required and if so, does it matter which type of certification I receive?
CPR certification is required for program admission. You can obtain the education for CPR at any healthcare facility. Hospital requirements for clinical rotations require that you be CPR certified. Only American Heart Association (AHA) or American Red Cross (ARC) Healthcare Provider CPR verification will be accepted. You must take the healthcare provider class for BLS (CPR and AED) program. Online CPR certifications will not be accepted.
Where will I complete my clinical rotations?
Clinical rotations are done primarily at Fort Bend, Katy, and the greater Houston area.
Can I do the Second Degree BSN program on a part-time status?
For the Second Degree BSN program, it is required to be a full-time, 5 days a week, one-year intensive program. This program is not flexible and most do not work during it.
Classes are in classroom settings as well as online.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
MSN prepared students to become leaders in their field. At the University of Houston-Sugar Land, the University of Houston-Main, and University of Houston-Victoria campuses, students can become prepared for a role as a Nurse Educator, Nurse Administrator, or as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
Travel is required each semester within the UH service area which includes Victoria, Fort Bend, and the greater Houston area will be necessary to satisfy program requirements.
Note: School of Nursing graduates may apply for graduate admission through NursingCAS for the Nurse Administrator, Nurse Educator, or Nurse Practitioner tracks. School of Nursing graduates may qualify for a waived Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) if GPA is 3.3 or higher.
The Simulation Center at the University of Houston College of Nursing located at UH-Sugar Land campus is a center that involves areas for hands-on clinical simulation training in a realistic type of setting allowing students tp practice improving patient safety and care in the hospital setting.
Ranking and Awards
US News & World Report (2019)
- #171 (tie) in National Universities
- #91 (tie) in Top Public Schools
- #388 (tie) Best Global Universities
- Best Big Colleges in America #69 of 131
- Top Public Universities in America #82 of 672
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #91 of 1,592
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #214 of 687
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #228 of 1,591
- Best Colleges in America #240 of 1,647
- Best Value Colleges in America #436 of 1,590
- Best College Campuses in America #494 of 1,408
- Most Diverse Colleges in Texas #2 of 81
- Best Big Colleges in Texas #4 of 9
- Top Public Universities in Texas #5 of 35
- Most Liberal Colleges in Texas #5 of 25
- Best Colleges in Texas #12 of 81
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Texas #12 of 78
- Best Value Colleges in Texas #16 of 77
- Best College Campuses in Texas #32 of 68
- Best Colleges in Houston Area #2 of 9
- Best Value Colleges in Houston Area #3 of 8
The Princeton Review (2018-2019)
- The Best 384 Colleges
- Best Western
- Green Colleges
- #330 Top Colleges
- #112 in Public Colleges
- #154 in Research Universities
- #65 in the South
- #96 America's Best Value Colleges
The Health Professions Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award was received by the UH College of Nursing in December 2016 becoming one of 31 health colleges nationally to receive the inaugural award. UH College of Nursing was the only university to receive 3 awards in one year.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the baccalaureate degree and the master's degree in nursing programs.
The University of Houston is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.