Seattle University (Seattle U), a Jesuit Catholic university, is a private, non-profit institution that was founded in 1891.
In 1935, the College of Nursing was established.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program at Seattle University is a direct-entry program and current students at Seattle University cannot be accommodated.
Graduates are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN and become eligible for state RN licensure.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Any applicant interested in pursuing a graduate nursing degree at Seattle University College of Nursing must now apply to the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program.
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The Doctor of Nursing Practice program of study leads to a practice doctorate in nursing. The program consists of on-campus and hybrid online classes.
In the Graduate-entry program, non-nurses with bachelor degrees can earn their clinical doctorate in four years. Graduates are eligible to sit for the RN NCLEX and be licensed as a Registered Nurse.
Nurses that have their BSN degree can earn their DNP in three years. RNs that hold an MSN can earn their DNP in 2-1/2 years.
The student is able to become a Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Midwife or Community Public Health Nurse.
The Nurse Practitioner DNP tracks include: Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, Adult Gerontological Nurse Practitioner, Family Nurse Practitioner, and Family Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
Certified Nurse Midwifery - Graduates are eligible to sit for the certification examination of the American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB).
Advanced Community Public Health Nursing
This Advanced Community Public Health Nursing program prepares nurses to collaborate with communities and organizations to design and implement health care programs and provide population-based health care.
General Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Statement of professional and personal goals
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in all post-secondary educational institutions attended
- Resume specifying education and work experience
- 2 letters of recommendation
Additional Criteria for Advanced Practice Nursing Immersion (APNI) (not all inclusive)
- Evidence of a four-year equivalent bachelor's degree in another discipline; professional/academic experiences evaluated on individual basis
- Prerequisite for APNI: Algebra – Functions and Methods, Introduction to Psychology, Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 with lab (within 5 years), Microbiology with lab (within 5 years), Psychology Growth and Development, Statistics (within 5 years), Chemistry, 1 year High School or 1 quarter college (no time limit)
- Except where noted all prerequisites coursework should be completed within 10 years
Additional Criteria for RN w/Bachelor's Degree (not all inclusive)
- Current RN licensure without practice restrictions
- BSN recognized by a national nursing accrediting agency or an ADN with a bachelor's degree in another discipline
- Satisfactory completion of undergraduate statistics course with a grade of 'C' or better that includes descriptive and inferential statistics with computer application (a 5 quarter credit minimum) and completed within the past 5 years
Additional Criteria for Applicants with RN or NP and MSN (not all inclusive)
- MSN or master's in health-related field from a CCNE or NLNAC accredited nursing program and a regionally accredited college or university
- Credit will be granted for up to 500 post-baccalaureate supervised academic clinical hours contributing to the 1000 total supervised clinical hours required for graduation
- Letter of interest
After obtaining the DNP degree, NPs can go on to pursue additional certifications as a postgraduate student.
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (for current Adult/Gero and Family NPs)
- Adult Gerontological Nurse Practitioner
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Family Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Certified Nurse Midwifery
NCLEX 2018 Pass Rates
- BSN - 92.59%
- Graduate Entry (GE) - 93.94%
The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities accredited Seattle University.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the BSN, MSN, DNP and Post-Graduate Advanced Practice Nurse Practitioner Certificate programs.
The Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (ACME) accredited the Seattle University College of Nursing Midwifery program.
Rankings and Accolades
US News & World Report (2019-2020)
- #8 (tie) in Regional Universities West
- #16 in Best Value Schools
- #13 in Most Innovative Schools
- #4 (tie) in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #98 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #76 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- #20 Nursing-Midwifery
- Best College Locations in America #7 of 1,553
- Best Catholic Colleges in America #33 of 165
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #46 of 599
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #48 of 1,592
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #55 of 687
- Best College Campuses in America #110 of 1,408
- Top Private Universities in America #206 of 975
- Best Colleges in America #312 of 1,647
- Best Value Colleges in America #357 of 1,590
- Best College Locations in Washington #1 of 45
- Best College Food in Washington #1 of 20
- Best Colleges for Nursing in Washington #1 of 14
- Most Diverse Colleges in Washington #2 of 44
- Best College Campuses in Washington #3 of 21
- Most Liberal Colleges in Washington #3 of 14
- Top Private Universities in Washington #8 of 15
- Best Value Colleges in Washington #9 of 42
- Best Colleges in Washington #10 of 49
- Best College Dorms in Washington #10 of 18
- Best Colleges in Seattle Area #6 of 25
- Best Value Colleges in Seattle Area #6 of 21
- #208 Top Colleges
- #144 in Private Colleges
- #40 in the West
The Princeton Review (2018)
- The Best 384 Colleges
- Best Western
- Green Colleges
College Factual (2017)
- #16 Top Ranked Nursing Program
- #54 Top Paid Nursing Graduates
- #70 Top Ranked Veterans
- #71 Best For Non-Traditional Students
- #299 Most Popular
For 2018, nurse.org listed Seattle U in the 10 best nursing schools in Washington.
Seattle University is featured in the Fiske Guide to Colleges for 2018.