- NCLEX Pass Rate 93
- Location Harriman, Tennessee
- Programs ASN/ADN, Other
- Visit Website Click For More Information!
Founded in 1971 and based in Harriman, Tennessee, Roane State Community College (RSCC) is a public institution.
Academic Nursing Programs
Associate of Applied Science Nursing Program (A.A.S.)
The program is 2 years (4 semesters in length), consisting of core nursing courses. There are 27 credit hours of general education that must be completed for the A.A.S. in Nursing degree. The total degree requirements are 66 credits. It is recommended to complete the general nursing courses before starting the nursing program.
The expected time in the program during the first year is six hours of work per week in the clinical setting as well as six hours per week in the nursing skills lab. The second year, the clinical rotation is a required twelve hour commitment in the clinical setting per week. The clinical groups are low ratios for students to instructors.
Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) Nursing LPN Mobility Program
The Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S) Nursing LPN Mobility Program is the program for LPNs who would like to become RNs. The LPN must have an active Tennessee Practical Nurse license. LPNs who are interested in admission to the program must pass the proficiency examination. The examination will include fundamentals of nursing. LPNs that graduate from the program are eligible to apply for the NCLEX exam to become licensed as an RN. There is an option for a night/weekend LPN Mobility program and it requires 4 semesters to complete after admission to the program. The program begins every fall.
LPN Challenge Exam
The LPN Challenge Exam is administered through Health Education Systems Inc. (HESI). This exam covers the fundamental clinical knowledge pertaining to nursing.
The LPN who is interested in becoming an RN can apply to the LPN Career Mobility Nursing Program after the LPN Challenge exam is taken. LPN-RN applicants are able to take the LPN Challenge Exam prior to LPN licensure, but must hold an active LPN license prior to final acceptance into the program. After 3 years, the student must retake the exam if they do not enter into the program. When taking the exam, the student must hold an active Tennessee Practical Nurse license or a signed letter from the LPN program director verifying eligibility to sit for the LPN licensure exam.
Admission Process for the Traditional Program (not all inclusive)
- Apply to the College
- Complete at least 13 of the 27 required hours of nursing general education courses. These must include Math 1530, BIOL 2010, ENGL 1010 and PSYC 1030 or a guided elective
- Grade “C” or higher in all required general education courses
- Achieve a minimum 2.75 GPA on required college courses
- Minimum 75% on the reading and math portion of the HESI A2 nursing pre-admission exam. Cumulative scores will not be considered - requirement is waived for applicants upon proof of an associate, bachelor’s or master’s degree.)
- Physical and immunization record, background check, urine drug screen, completion of CPR for healthcare provider, proof of health insurance
Admission Process for Nursing LPN Mobility (not all inclusive)
- Complete at least 13 of the 27 required hours of nursing general education courses including Math 1530, BIOL 2010, ENGL 1010 and PSYC 1030 or guided elective
- Satisfy any required learning support competencies prior to the application deadline.
- Grade of “C” or higher in all required general education courses - minimum 2.75 GPA on required college courses
- Pass the LPN Challenge Examination with a score of 850 or higher
- Physical and immunization record, background check, urine drug screen, CPR for healthcare provider, proof of health insurance
Day - Evening - Weekend Options
Traditional - Day classes, clinical and lab, with possible evening clinical rotation dependent on health care facility availability
LPN Mobility - Evenings and weekends
LPN Mobility - Days (This may not be offered every year)
Pre-Admission HESI Requirement
The Health Education Systems Inc. Admission Assessment Exam-A2 (HESI-A2) tests are designed for prospective nursing students. The HESI-A2 tests the students in two areas: English (Reading Comprehension and Critical Thinking are subcategories of the English Language Composite Score) and Math.
The student must take and pass the HESI before the application deadline (the fourth Friday in January) for the traditional Nursing Program. Previous HESI scores from another college are acceptable. The Nursing Division will determine if pass or fail. Those holding a college degree from an accredited college (SACSCOC or equivalent) are waived for this exam requirement.
After completion of the Nursing programs, the graduate is able to apply for the National Council Licensure Examination for registered nurses (NCLEX-RN). After successfully passing the exam, he or she is eligible for state licensure as an RN.
The main campus, including the Nursing Division office, is located in Harriman. The nursing classes are on three campuses (Harriman, Oak Ridge, and Knoxville Health Sciences Center). Clinical experiences are affiliated with the different health care facilities in the area. Transportation will be the responsibility of the student.
Articulation Agreements for Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree
RSCC has articulation agreements with many universities to help make your transition to the university of your choice to complete the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
Approval and Accreditation
The Tennessee Board of Nursing approved the Nursing programs at RSCC.
The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) accredited the Nursing programs.
Roane State Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Roane State Community College has been ranked 27th among the top 500 community colleges nationwide, according to a survey by StateUniversity.com.
Roane State Community College program ranks #242 Community College (out of 521; top 50%) in the USA and #6 Community College in Tennessee by BestCommunityColleges.com (2018).
Edited by sirI