- Location Morehead, Kentucky
- Programs ASN/ADN, BSN, MSN, RN-to-BSN, Entry-Level BSN, NP, Post-grad Certificate, Other
- Website URL Visit Website
Morehead State University, a public entity, was founded as a private, church-supported institution in 1887.
Associate of Applied Science in Nursing (AASN)
The AASN leads to an Associate of Applied Science degree (AAS) with a target theme of nursing. The degree program can be completed in as little as two years.
Graduates are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
The school is equipped with a state-of-the-art simulation laboratory to practice skills before taking off into clinical settings for clinical hours. The manikins in the simulation lab have technology to look, feel and simulate real life situations.
Students may be assigned to clinical practice areas other than those in the immediate area, requiring traveling up to 1.5 hours from the assigned campus. Transportation to and from these settings is the responsibility of the student.
Clinical experiences and formal lectures may be required during various hours of the day, evening, and night.
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- American College Test (Enhanced ACT) Score with a mandatory minimum composite score of 20 or higher
- GPA of 3.0 or higher with a minimum grade of "C" in prerequisite courses (Human Anatomy & Physiology I, MATH 135, Mathematics for Technical Students, ENG 100
- Applicants with a grade less than "C" on two courses required for the AASN within the last two years from the term of application due date are not eligible for admission
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 on all work at MSU
- Final acceptance will be dependent on maintaining course grades and GPA as well as meeting CPR and Health requirements
- LPN’s who have successfully completed a Practical Nursing Program, hold an active unrestricted license as a LPN in Kentucky, obtain a minimum score of 900 on the Health Education Systems Incorporated (HESI) Fundamental Examination and meet all other admission criteria are eligible for credit for prior learning
- Obtain criminal background check and undergo drug testing prior to clinical assignment(s)
The curriculum consists of science, math and nursing courses designed to give the student a well-rounded education preparing the student to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses.
Application Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Completion of the 31 credit hours of the required pre-nursing courses
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or above with no grade being less than a "C"
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 or above for Human Anatomy and Physiology I, Human Anatomy and Physiology II and MATH 135: Math for Technical Students (or the equivalent)
- Minimum ACT composite score of 20
- Possess current certification by the American Heart Association in Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (CPR)
- Documentation of compliance with all health requirements
- Compliance with the Technical Performance Standards
Online RN to BSN
The RN to BSN program allows nurses that hold associate degrees or diplomas in nursing to be able to obtain their bachelor's degree online. The courses are flexible and offered online in an eight-week format enabling nurses to continue working. Students must hold an active and unrestricted license to practice as a registered nurse (RN) in Kentucky.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Family Nurse Practitioner Program (FNPP) - ONLINE
The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), Family Nurse Practitioner Program (FNPP), is a program for bachelor prepared nurses that have a desire to become an advanced practice nurse with a focus on family care.
Master’s prepared nurses may enroll in the Post MSN program and become eligible to sit for the FNP certification exam. The MSN/FNP program is a total of 49 credit-hours and the Post MSN/FNP program is a total of 48 credit hours.
Campus locations include Morehead and Mt. Sterling.
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Cover letter/goal statement
- Resume or curriculum vita
- Official transcript with bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing from an accredited program
- GPA of 3.0 or higher for undergraduate or graduate degree
- Complete criminal background check
- Meet departmental immunization requirements
- Three professional references
- Minimum one-year clinical experience as a registered nurse (RN) - 2080 hours
- Current, unencumbered Kentucky RN license
- Completion of a three credit-hour descriptive statistics course at the graduate or undergraduate level
Accreditation and Approval
The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) accredited the Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) program.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the Pre-Licensure and Post-Licensure Baccalaureate Nursing Programs at Morehead State University.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) will initiate accreditation for Morehead State’s Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Family Nurse Practitioner program Sept. 24-26, 2018.
Morehead State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
The Kentucky Board of Nursing approved the MSU Nursing programs.
Us News & World Report (2019)
- #65 (tie) in Regional Universities South
- #44 (tie) in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #39 in Best Value Schools
- #23 (tie) in Top Public Schools
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #525 of 687
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #671 of 1,591
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Kentucky #9 of 27
- Most Diverse Colleges in Kentucky #18 of 24
The MSU Department of Nursing’s BSN-to-RN and MSN-Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) programs were included in Nursejournal.org’s list of best nursing schools online; MSU ranked 44 out of 500 schools evaluated for their online programs.
Morehead State University was ranked among the “Best Online Colleges” in Kentucky and has been named a Top 50 school in “Best Online Accounting Degree” by AffordableCollegesOnline.org.
Morehead State University was included in “Military Times Best: Colleges 2018” rankings by Military Times magazine.
NCLEX Pass Rates 2017
- BSN - 100%
- ADN - Mt. Sterling - 87%
- ADN - Morehead - 96%
Edited by Joe V