- NCLEX Pass Rate 97
- Location Chico, California
- Programs BSN, MSN, RN-to-BSN, Entry-Level BSN, Other
- Visit Website Click For More Information!
In 1887, California State University, Chico (CSU Chico or Chico State) was founded as a public institution. California State University, Chico's School of Nursing began in 1954.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The basic or traditional BSN program is designed for students who are interested in starting a nursing career. Due to the highly competitive nature of the program, it is strongly advised that those interested in the BSN program attend a pre-nursing advising session.
- The BSN program does accept post baccalaureate students
- We only admit 40 students each fall and spring semesters
- This is a five-semester baccalaureate nursing program
Due to the overwhelming number of students that apply to the program, CSU, Chico School of Nursing determines eligibility by a points system. Those who have the highest number of points stand the greatest chance of being accepted into the program. There are 100 points possible from Grade (60%), TEAS (20%), Other (20%).
Registered Nurse (RN) to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) - RN to BSN
The online RN-BSN program is for those who are already Registered Nurses (RN) and are looking to advance their education with a bachelor's degree. This program is flexible and accessible to all.
The program allows nurses who are currently working to continue to work without interruption, continue to live in rural areas (if applicable) without having to relocate, and continue to meet family and other personal obligations - all while completing his or her BSN degree. Applications are due by mid-February (15th) and students are only accepted into the program once each year. The program is 15-months in length starting in June of the same year and ends in August the following year.
Public Health/Community Health Nursing - Required Clinical Practicum
The RN-BSN program requires one clinical practicum at a public health/community health facility/agency. It can be done at or near the student's home and is a 135-hour requirement. This is completed (usually) during one full day per week during the summer. Upon completion of the BSN, the graduate can apply for the California Public Health Nursing certificate.
Admission Criteria (not all inclusive)
- Completed Prerequisites, Co-Requisites, and Lower Division GE
- Official College/University transcripts only
- 3.0 cumulative GPA in all college-/university-level coursework
- California Residency
- California RN license (with other exceptions/inclusions)
- RN to BSN Advising Session - STRONGLY advised
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Nurse Educator (NE)
- Nursing Leadership
At California State University, Chico, students can continue to work while earning the MSN degree. Faculty members have one-on-one personalized contact with the MSN students and there is not a thesis requirement.
Admission Criteria - Nurse Educator Option (not all inclusive)
- BSN from accredited national nursing accrediting body
- California RN license
- Minimum 3.0 GPA for last 60 units undergraduate nursing coursework
- Statistics that includes inferential statistics - grade of B or better within the previous five years
- GRE within the previous 5 years
- Letter of intent
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the BSN and MSN programs.
California State University, Chico is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
US News & World Report (2019)
- #41 (tie) in Regional Universities West
- #9 in Top Public Schools
- #217 (tie) in Best Online Bachelor's Programs
- #132-#170 in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs
- #347 Top Colleges
- #119 in Public Colleges
- #70 in the West
- #73 America's Best Value Colleges
- Best Big Colleges in America #96 of 131
- Top Public Universities in America #148 of 672
- Best College Campuses in America #152 of 1,408
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #190 of 1,542
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #204 of 687
- Best Value Colleges in America #339 of 1,590
- Best College Locations in America #400 of 1,553
- Best Colleges in America #403 of 1,647
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #497 of 1,592
- Best College Dorms in America #565 of 1,370
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #686 of 1,591
- Top Public Universities in California #13 of 46
- Best Big Colleges in California #14 of 23
- Best College Campuses in California #16 of 82
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in California #19 of 98
- Best Value Colleges in California #33 of 104
- Best College Dorms in California #34 of 72
- Most Liberal Colleges in California #34 of 61
- Best Colleges in California #37 of 116
- Best College Locations in California #42 of 100
- Colleges with the Best Academics in California #51 of 114
- Most Diverse Colleges in California #60 of 109
MONEY Magazine ranked CSU, Chico # 37 out of 72, 50 Best Public Colleges, in American universities (2018).
Edited by sirI