Adams State University (ASU), a public institution, was founded in 1921 as a teacher's college.
ASU offers a state-of-the-art lab for simulation exercises that mimic real life scenarios.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) – Traditional
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree program is a four (4) year program. It starts as a prelicensure program and concludes with successful graduates who become eligible to sit for the national NCLEX-RN licensure exam. Those who pass the examination then become eligible for state licensure as an RN.
Admission (not all inclusive)
- Pre-nursing advising
- Official high school transcripts
- Official ACT and/or SAT scores; Adams State does not require the writing portion of either the ACT or SAT
- All prerequisite courses must be completed before entering the Nursing Program
- Minimum grade of C- or better unless otherwise noted for all pre-requisite courses
If the applicant graduated from high school in 2010 or later, the applicant must have completed the Colorado Higher Education Admissions Requirements (HEAR) during high school as follows:
- Four years of English
- Four years of mathematics (Algebra I and higher)
- Three years of natural/physical science (including two units lab-based science)
- Three years of social science (including one unit of U.S. or world history)
- One year of foreign language
- Two years of academic electives
Frequently Asked Questions - Supplies Required
It is very important that you purchase a stethoscope. There are many from which to choose. It is advisable not to "go cheap" with your purchase, but at the same time, you do not need to purchase the most expensive cardiology stethoscope.
Other required supplies may include:
- Sphygmomanometer (Blood Pressure Cuff)
- Bandage Scissors
- Hemostats or Kelly Forceps
- A plain calculator (it is recommended not to use your phone or tablet)
- ECG or EKG Calipers (not needed until Medical – Surgical Nursing 2nd semester of Nursing courses)
- Personal Tablet (iPads are required for testing purposes) – ex: iPad Air, iPad Air 2, any iPad newer than 2nd generation
Here are some supply items that are not required, but you will find very convenient later on in your program:
- Nursing Pocket Protector
- Nursing Clipboard for quick retrieval of notes, references, etc.
- Medical terminology book or list - can be in iPad or other electronic formats
- APA (American Psychiatric Association) manual - this, too, can be electronic format for quick access on iPad
RN to BSN (online)
This degree program is for currently licensed Registered Nurses that want to go on for their Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. The program is flexible, allowing all coursework to be completed online in as little as four semesters. The Adams State Distance program leaves time for the Nurse to work and meet family and personal life obligations.
NOTE: ASU Nursing is not accepting any incoming RN-BSN students at this time. Please contact: 719-587-8171 for inquiry/information.
Application/Admission (not all inclusive)
- Complete online Adams State University application
- Official college transcripts sent directly to ASU
- Letters of recommendation
- Current, unencumbered RN license
- Background check
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Now that I know about the required and other suggested supplies for my nursing program, what type of uniform and/or scrubs are required?
Shirt top: Dickies (black) any style.
Pants: Dickies Khaki Pants/Cargos - elastic or drawstring waist.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the baccalaureate degree program at Adams State University.
The Higher Learning Commission accredited Adams State University.
Adams State University ranked #96-#127 (2019) in Regional Universities West by US News & World Report.
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #226 of 1,592
- Best College Dorms in America #389 of 1,370
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #691 of 725
- Most Diverse Colleges in Colorado #3 of 24
- Best College Dorms in Colorado #7 of 17
College Factual ranked Adams State University #9 Best Colleges for the Money in Colorado (2018-2019).