RN doesn't know what to do?


Hey everyone, I'm super stressed out! Here's the deal... I live in Michigan and I have finished school in October 2007 and have an associates degree of nursing. I sat for my NCLEX in January and passed (Woohoo!) So now I've been working for a little over a month on my own and off of orientation. I'm working in a step-down ICU which is usually quite hectic! I'm 22 years old, single, no children. I do have a boyfriend we're going to be getting engaged around this time next year... SO NOW ON TO THE QUESTIONS!...

What do I do now? I'm thinking about getting into anesthesia or even NP... but I can't really decide. I know I have to get my Bachelor's degree... but I would love to travel too. I don't really know much about travel nursing or if it's the right thing for me. But I've also been thinking about nursing in Australia for a few years. I mean, should I stay home for the next 2 years while I get my Bachelor's, then nurse in Australia for a few years? All I do know is that I want all my school done before I try having kids.

I'm so lost! I guess all I need is some good advice. Should I stay home? Travel around the US while I do an online BSN program? Then maybe move to Australia? I don't want to stay in Australia forever either though. I want to have my family right here in Michigan, but I'm young now and I want to travel! Ahhhhh!!! :bugeyes: Please help, maybe I just need some insight from some seasoned nurses with way more experience!:bow:

Thank you everyone in advance for any advise!

suzanne4, RN

26,410 Posts

Moving your thread to the International forum, since it is not specific to working issues related to that country.

There is a banner at the top of the Aussie forum requesting that you post questions like this under the International Forum.

-------------------------now to your other questions:

You need experience to get a job in Australia as a travel nurse, most companies want to see two years or so of experience, and the minimum time for there is about 6 months. They do not have travel contracts the same way that we have in the US, and even those require that you have work experience. You also must have the BSN before you can get a visa for Australia to be able to work there, they do not accept the two year degree from the US.

You are the one that needs to decide what will work best for you.

Best of luck to you.


65 Posts

Specializes in MIDWIFERY. Has 14 years experience.

Congratulation on passing your NCLEX exam.

If you said you are expecting to get engage next year around this time ,then what ever you decide remember to include your boyfriend.

This topic is now closed to further replies.