Jump to content

Registered Pediatric nurse UK to USA

Sho1015 Sho1015 (New) New


I am a registered Pediatric nurse living in the UK working in emergency care. I hope to be working in America in the same role soon upon marrying my husband to be. I am currently trying to research how i begin to start the transition. I am aware i need to sit the NCLEX exam but do i need to do anything before i sit the exam? Do i need to register my interest of nursing in america in particular states? I am most likely going to be residing in Virginia or Boston.

i am extremely confused, please help!! :(. I'd appreciate hearing from those who have gone through the same process.

thank you

JustBeachyNurse, RN

Specializes in Complex pediatrics turned LTC/subacute geriatrics.

You need to have theory and clinical training in adult, geriatric, mental health, and obstetrics in addition to pediatrics as US nurses are genera just trained.

You need to apply to a board of nursing for a license by examination. Most states require a credential review from CGFNS to determine if your education and credentials are equivalent to generalist nursing training in the US and to the standards of the state BoN.

If your transcripts don't reflect clinical and theory in all mandated areas it's very difficult to secure courses to make up deficiencies.

Unlike the UK, US nurses are generalist trained

Thank you very much, i appreciate the reply. I've just emailed the board of nursing for virginia for further help. I sure hope i qualify as i do not really fancy the idea of going through nursing school again.

JustBeachyNurse, RN

Specializes in Complex pediatrics turned LTC/subacute geriatrics.

If you do not have clinical & theory in adult, geriatrics, mental health & obstetrics on your nursing school transcripts I'm sorry you won't qualify for a nursing license in the US without further schooling. There is no such thing as a specialty RN license in the US


By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.