question about fractures

Nurses General Nursing


can somebody tell me the name of the temporary cast they put on fracture to let the swelling go down and then they remove it to put the hard cast on...

this cast looks like a little gauze boot, i need to know the name of it for clinical tonight :) thanks in advance

jayne109, RN

141 Posts

Specializes in ER/PDN.

We call it an OCL splint.


146 Posts

Specializes in MICU, CVICU.

I've always heard them referred to as split casts. Don't know if that helps at all.

Dixielee, BSN, RN

1,222 Posts

Specializes in ER.

OCL splint, posterior splint, fiberglass splint, etc. Posterior splint is sort of a generic, but there are multiple usages, thumb spica, volar, sugartong, etc.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X