Jump to content

QCC NLN PAX

Posted
by Di2Be Di2Be (New) New Pre-Student

Hi, I was wondering for those who took the NLN Pax, what study guides did you use for this exam? I am planning on taking this exam Winter 2021 and would like to know what books helped you. Thanks! 

I know I am a little late to the party but here is my 2 cents. If you would like to score high in the exam do as many questions as possible timed especially in the Comprehension/vocabulary section. I also agree with the previous post about a red book ( although there are several red books also) I would consider purchasing several books, also watching Youtube video's about what other students thought was helpful to them. I personally enjoyed watching crash course video's on different topics I was weak in. I would spend time even listening to free Youtube video's on vocabulary words. The school I was applying allowed calculator's. I also got familiar with it that way I didn't fumble during the exam as much. And if possible start studying early. I studied way in advance and the closer to the exam I got, I buckled down. I ended up with a 99% and so can you. Just have to work hard, focus and know that you can do it. Try to destress yourself before the exam and if you start feeling nervous take a few deep breaths and reset yourself.  I had a nice proctor. Very professional. I started exam prior to my appointment time because I was ready. Get a good night sleep too. Very important.

12 hours ago, Zabka918 said:

I know I am a little late to the party but here is my 2 cents. If you would like to score high in the exam do as many questions as possible timed especially in the Comprehension/vocabulary section. I also agree with the previous post about a red book ( although there are several red books also) I would consider purchasing several books, also watching Youtube video's about what other students thought was helpful to them. I personally enjoyed watching crash course video's on different topics I was weak in. I would spend time even listening to free Youtube video's on vocabulary words. The school I was applying allowed calculator's. I also got familiar with it that way I didn't fumble during the exam as much. And if possible start studying early. I studied way in advance and the closer to the exam I got, I buckled down. I ended up with a 99% and so can you. Just have to work hard, focus and know that you can do it. Try to destress yourself before the exam and if you start feeling nervous take a few deep breaths and reset yourself.  I had a nice proctor. Very professional. I started exam prior to my appointment time because I was ready. Get a good night sleep too. Very important.

Hi, I'm also taking the NLN in January around the 20th and I don't know if I have enough time. I bought two books and to me they are not much help since I'm almost done with the practice tests it gives me. 

How early did you start studying?

I studied earlier than that but you definitely have sufficient amount of time to still score high. Did you purchase the Q Bank on the NLN website. You will thank me later. You can definitely do it. Buy all sections. In addition to the Q Bank. I highlighted every question in the books I did question from that I got wrong, that I guessed on, and that I hesitated on. Then I would redo the questions during my study sessions that I haven't done in a while. Actually it starts being enjoyable to solve questions. Take a more like game show approach. Make it fun. Eventually I would use a different highlighter on the questions I still need to work on closer to the exam date to review an even smaller section. I would at night listen to vocabulary while I fall asleep or shower. The reason I focused on questions because it helped me troubleshoot through eliminating wrong answers, how to deduce, and also it's how the test will be. If you also run out of questions every question has 4 choices so you can also try to see why you would rule out that question. That would make you really really understand. What program and when are you applying? Good Luck!

Thanks! So far I have the vocab down a little well. Still need a little help though. I found quizlet a great help for that.

My only biggest problem is the reading the passages because I always have trouble understanding the passage in the few minutes we are given. I also have to take timing into consideration. Once I'm done with that I want to spend the rest of the days I have left for math and science. Science I might struggle in too. Math not so much.

I was also thinking of buying the PAX verbal practice on the NLN portal, I'm not quite sure where Q Bank is but if I see it I'll think about purchasing it. Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm currently trying to get into Hunter Bellevue School of Nursing. Many people got in with NLN scores that were OK, they don't have to be that high. But I don't want to risk it, to ensure my acceptance.

I don't blame you. Don't look for an OK score that you may or may not get in. Try to guarantee yourself in. The school I am applying takes a limited amount of students and even less now. I don't want to wait 6 months to redo NLN and wait another semester to apply. Don't make it happen to you that you will have to redo it because you didn't put the time in. 

From the sound of it I don't think you sound like that anyway. Don't even spend time thinking about investing extra money doing questions. I wouldn't even blink. It's worth it.  Buy the pax verbal, buy the other subjects as well. Think of it as an investment into yourself. Do not hesitate one bit. These questions will help you. They are made by the same place giving you the exam. Do it today.

I also had issue with reading passages. So lots of times I skipped that section went to vocabulary, speed answering those. Became so good. And quizlet Yes I forgot is great too! My exam started with the reading passages awful. Don't get stuck you have to guess and move on. read a little and pray. It's a time warp and don't let it kill you instantly. I had like 20 questions left and 5 minutes remaining. so I speed answered my way to the end. It was lots of words I was familiar with but also had limited time. I do not recommend what I did because its nerve racking.  That was my weakest section. Try doing reading passages at night before bed then. Do a couple a day at night. and increase closer to exam.

 

OK then, I think I'm more confident in purchasing it! Thanks for the advice. Once I'm through with the books that I already have I'll turn to the practice verbal, science and math the NLN website provides. 

I still don't see anything named Q Bank in there though.

Also I'm figuring that you bought them previously right? What were the practice verbal, science and math like? Did you have access to multiple version of questions or only given one set of questions for each section?

I just call it Q Bank. It's literally stands for question bank. It's the practice questions you mention. If you want the high score, buy all sections. You won't regret it. Bonus practice also. It's not a tremendous cost yet it's so valuable. It's like you want to get into the program. Reply: Yes. Then those questions will help you get there.

I kept redoing the questions over the same set and when your redo it some questions will be new and some will be different. But go over them many many times. Go over the book also. The questions on website are the level of difficulty. Anyway Good luck! Get the Q Bank. Spend the extra.

20 hours ago, Zabka918 said:

I just call it Q Bank. It's literally stands for question bank. It's the practice questions you mention. If you want the high score, buy all sections. You won't regret it. Bonus practice also. It's not a tremendous cost yet it's so valuable. It's like you want to get into the program. Reply: Yes. Then those questions will help you get there.

I kept redoing the questions over the same set and when your redo it some questions will be new and some will be different. But go over them many many times. Go over the book also. The questions on website are the level of difficulty. Anyway Good luck! Get the Q Bank. Spend the extra.

Thanks again! One more question.. how many questions for each section and how much time because at this point im getting different answers and its really annoying. Some say 80 verbal, 52 math and 80 science and others say 60 verbal (40 min), 40 math (40 min), 60 science(45 min.). Those were online. And in my textbook I have 60 verbal, 40 math and 60 science (each 45 min.).

 Here is my NLN report. I just covered my personal info. In it you see how many questions I got wrong and right. So that should give you an idea how many questions are there total. I would suggest you do the questions as quickly as possible. Now you don't have to start like that but closer to exam I would speed through them. There is a clock visible in the upper right corner when you start the actual exam. Just keep a eye on it from time to time.

 

report-NLN PAX 2.pdf

On 12/23/2020 at 10:47 AM, Zabka918 said:

 Here is my NLN report. I just covered my personal info. In it you see how many questions I got wrong and right. So that should give you an idea how many questions are there total. I would suggest you do the questions as quickly as possible. Now you don't have to start like that but closer to exam I would speed through them. There is a clock visible in the upper right corner when you start the actual exam. Just keep a eye on it from time to time.

 

report-NLN PAX 2.pdf

Sorry I replied so late. And wow! You did amazing! I hope mine turns out around that score. Congrats !! Although I don't think it tells me on the report how much time is given. Also could you give me an idea of what the science portion was like. Whether it was more biology, physics or Chemistry. 

On 12/23/2020 at 10:47 AM, Zabka918 said:

 Here is my NLN report. I just covered my personal info. In it you see how many questions I got wrong and right. So that should give you an idea how many questions are there total. I would suggest you do the questions as quickly as possible. Now you don't have to start like that but closer to exam I would speed through them. There is a clock visible in the upper right corner when you start the actual exam. Just keep a eye on it from time to time.

 

report-NLN PAX 2.pdf

Oh my bad! It does tell me the amount of questions. Thanks so much! Now im just concerned about the amount of time

It's OK. I'm happy to help. I don't know if all the questions actually count as I read that in one NLN book they put experimental questions but how true is that is also an unknown. But don't worry about that. Think you probably have less than a minute to answer a question. More or less. Don't spend too much time spending searching for the answer. I would try to just do under a minute during a practice or a min max.

For the Science section it was a mix of Physics, Chemistry, Anatomy, and Critical care..For example of scenario of cutting finger and what would you do first. Would you do peroxide or wash? Or if you burned your hand what would you do first. Look at the bigger picture. So it's hard to say because question can involve a few subjects. Food chain I would review.  Different circuits..Parrallel vs series. Try to understand them if possible. It's isn't my forte but relate it to things that you do understand like traffic to make it easier.

On 12/28/2020 at 5:58 PM, Zabka918 said:

It's OK. I'm happy to help. I don't know if all the questions actually count as I read that in one NLN book they put experimental questions but how true is that is also an unknown. But don't worry about that. Think you probably have less than a minute to answer a question. More or less. Don't spend too much time spending searching for the answer. I would try to just do under a minute during a practice or a min max.

For the Science section it was a mix of Physics, Chemistry, Anatomy, and Critical care..For example of scenario of cutting finger and what would you do first. Would you do peroxide or wash? Or if you burned your hand what would you do first. Look at the bigger picture. So it's hard to say because question can involve a few subjects. Food chain I would review.  Different circuits..Parrallel vs series. Try to understand them if possible. It's isn't my forte but relate it to things that you do understand like traffic to make it easier.

Great info!! How long did you get for each section if you can recall? And did you take your exam on a computer or on paper? 

 

2 minutes ago, B.23 said:

Great info!! How long did you get for each section if you can recall? And did you take your exam on a computer or on paper? 

 

Also where did you purchase the official review? I cant find it on the website. 

Thank you for this information. I am also taking the PAX and really appreciate the advice

Just now, rachelk5189 said:

Thank you for this information. I am also taking the PAX and really appreciate the advice

Oh really? Then good luck to you hope you make it in!