Specializing in pain management?

  1. I'm interested in specializing in pain management,can I practice this with an ASN,BSN?Or is an MSN required,if so would I have to be in an NP,CRNA or CNS program? If an MSN is not required,do I just need a certification?
  2. Visit newbeginnings07 profile page

    About newbeginnings07

    Joined: Jan '07; Posts: 58


  3. by   TawneyCat
    Hi. I have a ASN and currently work for a Chronic Pain Management Clinic at our hospital. I meet several different criteria annually and have to renew my "hospital specific certification" annually. I've heard of a "pain management certification" out there. I believe it requires at least a BSN.
  4. by   Josh L.Ac.
    From the ASPMN:


    Eligibility Criteria
    Eligibility Criteria to Sit for the Pain Management Nurse
    Certification Examination (Exam 56)

    Hold a diploma, associate, baccalaureate or higher degree in nursing

    Hold a current active registered nurse license in one of the 50 states in the U.S. or its territories

    Have the equivalent of two years full-time experience practicing as a registered nurse in the United States or its territories

    Have practiced in a nursing role which involves aspects of pain management (e.g., pain assessment and management, pain management education, pain research, etc.) at least 2,000 hours in the three years prior to applying to take the examination

    Have 30 hours of continuing education in the three years prior to applying to take the examination, of which a minimum of 15 hours must be related to pain management
  5. by   lexus185
    Can LVN's In Texas Specialize in Pain Management?