1. Hi, I have a question. I want to become a nurse that works in the nursery when the babies are born. I'm going to start school this summer and I have no idea what this type of nursing is called. Can somebody please help me out and let me know what this is called and what classes I need to take. Thanks so much.
  2. Visit shorty90731 profile page

    About shorty90731

    Joined: Mar '04; Posts: 1


  3. by   Dayray
    There are well baby nursery nurses and intensive care nursery nurses. We usually just call them nursery nurses.

    All nurses in the US train as generalists so you just have to take whatever classes that are required by your local nursing program. Once you have graduated you take a test to get your RN license. Your RN license allows you to work in any area of nursing. Then you apply to the area you want to work in and they train you in your chosen specialty (nursery in your case). Once you are an RN you can take NRP (advanced CPR for babies).

    There are also neonatal nurse practitioners, they are nurses with masters degrees and do some pretty invasive stuff with newborns as well as some diagnostic stuff before birth.

    The professional organization for maternity and nursery nurses is Awhonn check out the site and you can find out more http://www.awhonn.org/

    Good luck !