Job market for graduates of UK nursing schools.

  1. Hello all. I've lived in the US all my life and want to try living in Europe. I am a veteran of the US Army and have GI Bill benefits to pay for my education. My question is how difficult it would be to find a RN job and get permanent residence in the UK after I have graduated from a UK nursing school? Thank you for all your help.
  2. Visit kwonggab profile page

    About kwonggab

    Joined: Oct '12; Posts: 3


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    I think may be hard as many newly qualified nurses are struggling and many trusts laying people off including nurses. I believe as a UK grad there is an option but who will know what will happen in a few years if you do graduate from a UK university that does nursing. Be aware that not many universities accept international students for nursing due to the nature of how the training is subsidised and UK training is specialised and in most cases does not meet US requirements.

    Suggest you check out the UK Borders website which will give info regarding student in the UK
  4. by   SentimentalGeek
    Unfortunately a student visa does not grant rights to stay on as a resident in the UK after graduation. They have really tightened up on immigration rules in the past 2 years. Check out UK Border Agency | Studying in the UK for more info about studying in the UK. You also would not be able to immediately practice as a nurse in the US after receiving a UK degree, as you would have to take additional courses to prepare for NCLEX.

    It is even incredibly difficult for a UK citizen's spouse to gain permanent residence/citizenship (income and savings requirements among other hoops to jump through) - students are not priority for residence permits. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
  5. by   kwonggab
    Hey at least I have some information on which to plan my decision. Your response is quite appreciated.
  6. by   SentimentalGeek
    Glad to be of some help, even if it's not the response you'd hoped for. It has been some time since I went through the immigration process and so much has changed I'm afraid I can't give you much more updated info, but UKBA is definitely the best place to start. You might also find the Home Office website useful.
  7. by   kwonggab
    I will check that out. Thank you again.
  8. by   StargazerLily
    Hello, I've been investigating various similar things as you, but in reverse (from UK, wanting to work in the US) and I'm married to a US Citizen

    I'd just like to ask and bring up a few points. First off, is I assume you were some sort of soldier while a part of the military? You're not already a nurse/medical professional? And are looking to study to become a nurse in the future?

    From what I understand about the military as well, is that your GI Bill is only for studying in the US, it won't be viable or transferable to any UK institutions. This means, you'll have to study and do your degree in the US, and will be waiting another 4 years at least before being able to move to the UK to work (unless you can afford out of your own pocket an English education, as I don't believe there's much support for international students)

    Like others have mentioned as well, you'll need a student visa which is a very limited and specific visa. It might not allow you to work, and it probably won't allow you to stay past your studying time

    Due to how nurses are trained in the UK as well, (again as others have said) you won't be able to practice nursing in the US either, as the NCLEX has certain requirements which aren't met within a UK nursing degree. You'd have to do some additional courses

    Are you considering nursing as purely a route to living abroad? Or is living abroad just a great part of being a nurse? If it's the first, there are many other ways to consider working abroad, and there are other areas of skill shortages which might be more easier to obtain. I'd say do a quick search online for skill shortages in the UK, and see what they're offering work visas for

    The best thing for you to do, I'd say, is get your education in the US with your GI Bill. From there, you can start looking and thinking about what to do. I keep hearing it's better to have a US degree if you want to work abroad than it is having a UK degree, as the US nursing degree is more "accepted". I know for example in Canada, they're adopting the NCLEX as their way of testing nurses and giving licenses, and I heard that US RN find it easier to get work in the UK than vice versa. This also means if you ever found you didn't like Europe and wanted to go back to your family in the states, you could still be a RN

    I hope this helps, and good luck to you