Transferring license

  1. I will be taking my NCLEX-RN exam in California in the near future, then relocating to Alabama. Would it be best to apply for an Alabama license directly after passing the exam or get the California license first? If I apply and receive an Alabama license, then decide to return to California later, will I be able to transfer my Alabama license to California or will I have to take another exam? Is there a reciprocal agreement between California and Alabama regarding the RN license?
  2. Visit CaliNurse2 profile page

    About CaliNurse2

    Joined: Oct '06; Posts: 5


  3. by   augigi
    There are no reciprocal agreements at all, as I understand it. You just apply for "licensure by endorsement" to endorse your license from one state to another (and pay the fees etc to do so). You never have to take the NCLEX again once you have passed it. So I'd say get your CA license, then endorse to AL.