Jobs for developmental disabilities nurses in Aus

  1. I was wondering if I can get some tips or advice from any of you lovely people on here. I'm from UK And in final year of what we call learning disability nursing. With this I want to emigrate to Australia after I get some registered experience. My question about work in this area for nurses and what type experience are employers looking for? I have worked with forensics in a support work role and believe this a valuable area. I'd also like to know where are the best places to find work. Any kind of info would be helpful here!
  2. Visit sarahjay81 profile page

    About sarahjay81

    Joined: Jan '13; Posts: 3


  3. by   Mopples
    Hi, I don't know much about this area, but there is a children's hospital in western Sydney called Allowah Children's hospital. As far as I know, they specifically cater for disabled children. They have a website, just google them. Maybe send them an email and they can give you specifics.
  4. by   sarahjay81
    Thanks mopples! I'm interested in Melbourne to be honest, but I've read some report on here that jobs are hard to come by over ther (hospital specifically) but my work with people with LD is generally not in hospital, it's community based in their own homes. Or supported living, I'm interested in how services vary to UK, where to go to get the work, and how my registration was classify me?

    Sarah x
  5. by   Mopples
    No worries. Melbourne does seem pretty worrying at the moment, going by the news reports anyway.

    I live in Sydney, so have no idea about services down there. Have you tried looking up some services down there? I'm sure someone would be happy to give you some guidance. Good luck.
  6. by   K+MgSO4
    VIC is not a good place to be right now for jobs in healthcare. The federal government has just pulled $108 million in funding from the state which the state government decided all would come from health. My ward is closing in a wwek.

    I don't know anything about ID nursing at all. Maybe try contacting some charities and ask how it is funded and where the services are delivered?
  7. by   K+MgSO4
    Forensic nursing us usually with the prison services and psych. I know that there are some overlap but not my area at all.
  8. by   sarahjay81
    Thanks for all your input here, it doesn't sound good for the public sector in Melbourne at all. Perhaps private care is the way forward, things are quite similar here at the moment with private organisations popping up everywhere, even as subsidiaries of NHS organisations, because people know their days are numbered. If anyone has any more suggestions, they are very welcome :-) x

    Sarah x
  9. by   canned_bread
    I would try The Cerebral Palsy Alliance which is a large organization. It used to be called The Spastic Centre. They do a lot of developmental disability work, and have places to work everywhere. They might also be able to give you some advice on other organizations to speak to.
  10. by   imaginations
    Allowah Presbyterian Children's Hospital is certainly a suitable place for someone with your degree and experience to work. It is a private, charity funded hospital of 40-odd beds specifically for children with profound intellectual (combined with physical) disabilities who require a high degree of care. They employ registered nurses as senior staff on each shift to look after the higher acuity patients, manage all patient medication and medical situations and supervise unqualified nursing assistant staff.

    Other places to look are group homes (largely for adults though do exist for older children) often run through organisations like The Cerebral Palsy Alliance. You may also contact major children's hospitals in the states you are interested in and ask them for suggestions.

    You may also find work as a private carer for families with developmentally disabled children.
  11. by   kingofqueen
    just wondering did you have any luck trying to find potential employers?