Student nurse with unilateral hearing loss and no ear canal.

  1. I started nursing school at the end of August and have been trying to get a stethoscope. I've been getting the run-around, though! It's not their faults. They're just not familiar with my disability. I had a congenital cholesteatoma discovered at age 3 that required several surgeries between the ages of 4 and 9. I was left with little hearing in my right ear, an almost completely absent ear canal, a small what you could call eardrum constructed from one of my ossicles (lost the others). I have coped and adapted with my hearing loss for 20 years and just recently got a behind the ear hearing aid for my right ear. I had to get it so I could meet the minimum hearing requirements for nurses (and it has already improved my life).So, I need a stethoscope now. I can not take out my hearing aid. There is such a large hole that I would be opening my patients and myself for infection. What type of stethoscope can I get that will work for me?Here's what I've found during my research:Modify a binaural stethoscope to make the earpiece fit in the ear mold vent on the BTE-worried I won't hear sounds well enoughGet an electronic stethoscope that I can plug headphones into-I would have to wear HUGE headphones to not get feedback from my BTE (methinks)My audiologist told me to ask my professors. I spoke to several professors and they have no idea what I should do. I'd love to contact AMPHLS but I do not have the money to become a subscriber and their stethoscope overview was thorough but did not address my specific problem.thank you for any help/suggestions you can offer.
  2. Visit luna02525 profile page

    About luna02525

    Joined: Dec '10; Posts: 11; Likes: 1


  3. by   kingkill
    Maybe look into the electronic stethescopes from Littman or even better call them ask them what could work best for you?
  4. by   marcpamjoce1
    Escope by cardionics has headphones.
  5. by   LockportRN
    My grandson was born with a unilateral MA so I joined a few online sites for support. Not too long ago, a nursing student came on the site and inquired about stethoscopes for the hearing impaired. I didn't save the site that he gave but if you go there, I am sure that one of the more experienced parents will get you the information.

    1. Illinois Hands & Voices

    I don't remember which one posted several good sites for specialized stethoscopes for the hearing impaired but they are good cardiology ones so you should have no problems listing and hearing breath, heart and bowel sounds.

    Good luck.
  6. by   RN2BE83
    I'm so glad you posted this. I have the exact same thing, but its my left ear. I was diagnosed at age 12 and have had several surgeries over the years. I've turned in my medical form, but when I found out we had to have a hearing test, it made me a bit nervous. I haven't heard back from the school yet, but just in case they say something about my hearing loss, were you able to find a stethoscope?
  7. by   LockportRN
    Ok, I tried to post a response but it didn't work. So I will try this again.

    There is a site that sells stethoscopes for the hearing impaired professional. It is audiologyonline. I will again try to post the link:
    Amplified Stethoscope Options for Professionals with Hearing Loss A. U. Bankaitis Assistive Devices Hearing Aids - Adults 860

    They also have a phone number (800)753-2160. Hope this helps, and I hope I can post it.

    Best of luck!
  8. by   RN2BE83
    Thank you so much!!! Good luck to you as wel!