Jump to content

NMC registration

by emilym.pitre emilym.pitre (New) New

I'm in the process of looking into nursing in the UK. It seems it's going to be a brutal process either way, but I'm just wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to whether I should go with a nursing agency to help me (Continental Travel nurse is the one I keep hearing about) or just contact the NMC myself for a package and do it myself. Also, if it would be worthwhile applying for dual British citizenship (I have that option) before I started the process? I am a Canadian trained NICU nurse. Thanks!

babyNP., APRN

Specializes in NICU. Has 13 years experience.

CTM gives you guidelines, but they don't really have much to do with the registration paperwork. I'm an American BSN who got registration back in 2012. Things have changed a little bit, but not too much. You'll have to do a 3 month supervised practice now instead of just a 21 day theory course.

Definitely get your UK citizenship because that means you'll be able to work anywhere without restriction, whereas if you don't, you have to get sponsored and they're a bit hard to get these days.

here's a link to my experience:


Best of luck and be sure to let us know how things go; your experience will help others!

Silverdragon102, BSN

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC. Has 33 years experience.

Just to let you know having UK citizenship makes no difference when applying to the NMC as you trained outside the UK therefore have to meet that requirement. Also look at getting application in as the UK is making changes to nurses that trained outside Europe later this year. The only real benefit to UK citizenship is that you do not require a work permit to live and work in the UK

You can do the NMC yourself. You will have to do much of the work anyway. Good luck!