Published Mar 27, 2003
I am RN nurse specialized in pediatrics and now am enrolled in RN-BSN program. I am really very interested to pursue my career in neonatal intensive care nursing.
During the RN-BSN program, we have to write a role paper about the advanced nursing practice we are interested in and would like to specialize in; also, we have to ask some interviewing questions and include them in the paper.
So, I would like to ask you for help since I haven't started to work in U.S. (I am from the Czech Republic, ...) and therefore do not have many chances to encounter NICU/perinatal NP.
If you can, please, answer following questions:
* How did you become interested in and prepare for the role as NICU/perinatal Nurse Practitioner?
* Please, describe your responsibilities as a NICU/perinatal NP.
* Does your actual practice differ from what you expected?
* What are the rewards/frustrations of practicing in this role as NICU/perinatal NP?
* What would be necessary in order for you to function more effectively in the role as NICU/perinatal NP?
* What was your basic nursing education and when and why did you decide to continue in NICU/perinatal advanced nursing?
* What is the work setting like (e.g. private office, workspace, ...)?
* What resources are available (e.g. medical equipment, communication devices, clinical assistants, etc.)
* With whom do you interact as a NICU/perinatal NP (sharing info, receiving orders, making decisions, etc.)
* Do others acknowledge your special role? And how?
* Do you wear a pin with a title and credentials? If yes/no, why? If no, how would others identify your role?
* Are you satisfied with the actual work you are now performing?
* How do you consider nurse-doctor relationship in this position?
* How do you consider nurse-patient relationship in this position?
* Are you furthermore advancing/specializing in a particular area?
I know I listed overwhelming number of questions. Certainly, you do not have to answer all. I would be really glad to read some response.
Again, thank you for your help. I very much appreciate it and I am sure that many other potential NICU nurses/NICU/perinatal NPs would appreciate such info as well.
You MAY want to try posting this on the NP or Midwife boards. You may garner a bigger response in those places. Good LUCK!
Create well-written care plans that meets your patient's health goals.
This study guide will help you focus your time on what's most important.
Choosing a specialty can be a daunting task and we made it easier.
By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X