Jump to content

New Grad RN Job Search Conflicts

dpugs531 dpugs531 (New) New Nurse

Hi everyone, first post on here! I am a new grad RN, just graduated in May and passed the NCLEX in July. I have been STRUGGLING to find a job the last few months. I applied to a few new grad programs and got rejected even though I have a really great background. There seems to be some type of hiring freeze at this point because there are very few options to apply to as a new grad and whatever I apply to I don’t hear back from.

Here’s my dilemma. In order to gain experience and work my way up, I have the opportunity to be a substitute school nurse only from September until December. I’m basically hired but haven’t filled out any paperwork yet and I was told I need to be really dependable. However, I just applied to a full time new grad position at a hospital that I have a pretty good chance of getting due to connections. I haven’t heard anything back yet though and the school is waiting on me to fill out paperwork. If I am offered the hospital position, I will 100% take it over the school position. I am nervous, though, because I need to fill out the school paperwork by this week. I want to wait and hear back about the hospital position but I don’t know how long that will take. I don’t want to commit to the school and then find out I could be offered the hospital position and have to bail on the school. I also don’t want to turn down the school position only to find out I won’t be offered the hospital position and be left with nothing.

I don’t want to end up quitting the school position after I already said I would do it but it’s only a temporary, low paying position that may not even last because school may become all online again, and a full time hospital position takes priority. Should I just fill out the paperwork and then if I hear back from the hospital, tell the school I can’t do it anymore after I already said I would be dependable? Should I hold off a little longer and wait to hear back from the hospital? Should I tell the school that I may have an opportunity to work somewhere else before I sign anything? How should I go about this in the best way possible? Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you!

Sour Lemon

Has 9 years experience.

I would tell the school that I was not 100% committed, then leave it up to them whether to hire me or not. As an employee (even a potential one), I don't think I owe any employer anything. I expect them to look out for their own interests, and I feel entitled to look out for mine. I'm not a great pretender, though ...so I tend to put all my cards on the table.

6 minutes ago, Sour Lemon said:

I would tell the school that I was not 100% committed, then leave it up to them whether to hire me or not. As an employee (even a potential one), I don't think I owe any employer anything. I expect them to look out for their own interests, and I feel entitled to look out for mine. I'm not a great pretender, though ...so I tend to put all my cards on the table.

the thing is, if I tell the school that and they decide they don’t want to hire me and I end up not getting the hospital job, I’ll be left with nothing. I’m wondering if I should just go through with it and if the hospital job ends up working out I’ll quit the school. I’d feel guilty but have to do what’s best for me. I don’t know.

Sour Lemon

Has 9 years experience.

Another thing to consider, is that nursing can be a small world. People know each other, and people talk. Sometimes protecting your reputation is the best strategy, although the pay-off is not immediate.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It's tough out there right now.

×

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.

OK