Moving from AR to CA... LPN diploma question


I am planning on starting an LPN program here in Arkansas this July and it is a one year diploma program in Practical Nursing. The diploma program is at a local hospital. My husband thinks his career will take us back to California (our home originally before getting in the Air Force) by fall of 2009. I was curious as to what is the procedure for an LPN who received her diploma in Arkansas to be able to work in California. Is it a difficult process? Thank you so much for any help you can give me, because I'm not sure where to look for this information.

TheCommuter, BSN, RN

226 Articles; 27,608 Posts

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych. Has 17 years experience.

You'll need to obtain a California LVN license in order to work in the state.

You have two options. The first option involves obtaining an Arkansas LPN license and endorsing it into California. The second option involves applying to the CA BVNPT (Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians) for initial LVN licensure in California without ever having received an Arkansas LPN license.

This topic is now closed to further replies.