Missed the 2 year window to take boards in MI

  1. Hi all!
    I'm new to join the site but have been checking in here frequently for great information. Here is my predicament. I graduated with my BSN in December 2007 but did not receive my diploma until October 2010 due to life getting in the way...sick family members, fending off foreclosure, etc. I was elated to have my diploma in hand and began looking to see what I needed to do to apply for licensure. It was then I discovered that the NCLEX had to be taken within two years of graduating. I am now at a loss. I wrote the state and it was suggested I take boards in another state and then transfer the license to Michigan. Has anyone ever heard of this situation or have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
  2. Visit LizzyG19 profile page

    About LizzyG19

    Joined: Oct '10; Posts: 2


  3. by   caliotter3
    The two year time frame should have been discussed with your class at the end of nursing school when everybody was getting their paperwork together. Somehow you missed the boat on that one. It does happen sometimes that we don't find out something important until it is too late. Best thing to do is to follow the advice you were given, get a license in a neighboring state, then endorse it to MI. Good luck.
  4. by   resilientnurse
    I know it seems scary, but don't fret. The same thing happened to me. The Michigan BON told me to go back to nursing school again or test in another state and endorse. I went through Indiana. The down side to this is that Michigan is known to take forever to endorse licenses, like a couple of months. However, it does appears as though this is the only way. The most important thing is to test, pass and get licensed. Good luck to you!
  5. by   LizzyG19
    Thank you so much for giving me hope that I don't have to go through school again!! A couple of months waiting for Michigan is far less painful than the four years it took to finish school! How did you go about starting the process?
  6. by   resilientnurse
    Sure, just check out their website: <http://www.in.gov/pla/2507.htm>. If you already registered with Pearson Vue, then you need to contact them and change the BON to Indiana. This will cost you $50, I believe. As far as the application by examination, there is a form that Indiana wants filled out by the director of your nursing school certifying that you are a graduate of their program. You need to attach a 2x2 photo to this form that you and the director will sign verifying your identity.

    I do not remember if I mailed this form in with the application and $50 fee or the school mailed it in directly. I believe it was the former. I found the staff at the Indiana BON to be very personable and extremely helpful! You get a live person as soon as you call--no automated system. They helped me out so much. I was unable to test within my ATT dates because of pregnancy issues and they kindly canceled and reissued my ATT so that I would not lose my $200 with Pearson Vue. I am so incredibly appreciative. They give the impression that they really want to keep their state licensed nurses. Do I sound like a commercial for Indiana Nurses? I am from Michigan.

    Indiana does not have any CEUs, so if you keep your renewal fees paid it will be easy to maintain the license for whatever reason. I am in the endorsement process now. I have read posts on this site about the long delays. I also called the Michigan BON and was told that it would take 6-8 weeks or longer for processing. Plus, there is a fingerprint requirement. Indiana does not have that. Every state is different and we just have to respect that. I have an outstanding job offer in Detroit and am very eager to start. I hope this helps.
    Last edit by resilientnurse on Oct 29, '10 : Reason: Grammar issues