Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses Convention (AMSN) - Lake Buena Vista (Orlando), FL
Come join your fellow Medical-Surgical Nursing colleagues at the 27th Annual AMSN Convention in Lake Buena Vista (Orlando) on September 13-16, 2018.
The AMSN - Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses convention will be held at the Disney Coronado Springs Hotel in Lake Buena Vista (Orlando), Florida on September 13 - September 16, 2018. Come join fellow Nurses at this premier event for improving your practice at this 27th annual conference. With well-over 11,500 members, the AMSN is the only specialty nursing organization dedicated to the practice of medical-surgical nursing. Connect with fellow Nurses who share your passion and care as much as you do.
September 13th through September 16th, 2018
Disney Coronado Springs Hotel
Lake Buena Vista (Orlando), FL
Peeking Back to the 2016 Annual Convention - Reducing Patient Falls and Alarm Fatigue
Who Will Benefit?
- Clinical Nurses
- Nurse Administrators
- Care Coordinators
- Nurse Leaders
- Nurse Managers
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Nurse Practitioners
- Nurse Educators
- Clinical Nursing Supervisors
Sessions and Workshops
Pre-Conference Workshop - Medical Surgical Certification Review (2 days)
Wed. September 12, 2018
7:45 - 5pm 13.75 contact hours for both days
Caroline Ashman MS, RN, CMSRN
Becoming CMSRN - Best Career Move
Prepare for the exam or just a refresher
Body systems review, fluids and electrolytes, common pathological conditions and treatments, nursing interventions
CRC only $299 for members and regular is $329
Core Curriculum Book & Medical Surgical Review questions - special $99 for members, $145 regular
September 13 Thursday
7-7:45 Registration and Coffee
8am to 12pm
Develop a Quality Improvement Project
3.75 Contact hours Lynne Connelly PhD, Rn and Dottie Roberts Ed, MSN, MACI, RN, OCNS-C, CMSRN, CME
$99 for members, $129 regular
Interactive workshop - steps of writing and preparing a quality improvement project for possible publication.
3-4:45 Convention Orientation
4:15-6:30 Opening Ceremonies and Opening Address by Megan Wells MFA
"Florence Nightingale: Following the Call to Service" 1.25 contact hours
6:30-8:45 Grand Opening Reception in Exhibit Hall
6:30-10 Poster Viewing
September 14 Friday
7-8am Continental Breakfast
7-10 Poster Viewing
8-9:15 Presentation of the AMSN Anthony J. Jannetti Award for Extraordinary Contributions to Health Care. Keynote - 1 CEU
How Nurses Practice Quality Care - Evidence, Stories and Solutions"
By Marianne Baernholdt PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN
9:15-11:15 Exhibit Hall Open
11:15-12:30 Concurrent Sessions
- Implementation of an Electronic Handoff Report: A Quality Improvement Project
- In Hospital Stoke vs. Stroke Mimic
- Impact of LGBTQ Cultural Competence Education for Registered Nurses
- Writing for Publication
12:30-12:45 Box Lunch
12:45-1:45 Concurrent Sessions
- Sustaining Evidence Based Practice: Clustered Assignments-A New Care Delivery Model
- Women's Health Update for the Medical Surgical Nurse
- Non Invasive Ventilation on Medical Surgical Units and at home
- Acute Kidney Failure and Chronic Kidney Disease in the Medical Surgical Patient
3:30-4:45 Concurrent Sessions
- Building a Nurse Peer Review Committee to Enhance Professional Practice
- Clinical Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Elevating Skin Injury Prevention: Team Application
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies - What Does the Evidence Say?
Saturday September 15
7:30-8:15 Continental Breakfast
8:15-9:30 Town Hall "Workplace Resilience by Marissa Streelman MSN, RN, CMSRN
9:30-9:45 Coffee Break
9:45-12:30 Concurrent Sessions
- Violence at the Bedside: Not Routine Nursing Care
- (NASH )Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis): The Silent Epidemic
- Heart Failure Medication Update
- Beyond Knowledge, Skills, Abilities: The New Era of Competence in Nursing
- Risky Business and Malpractice Claims: Setting a Patient Safety Agenda
- Creating Excellence in Inpatient Diabetes Management: Diabetes Management Mentors Contributions to Quality Outcomes
- The Cost Population: Treating Alcohol Withdrawal in the Acute Care Inpatient Population
12:30-2 Lunch on own
2-3:15 Concurrent Sessions
- Medical-Surgical Nurses Advocates for Promotion and Practice Awareness
- Creating a Multidisciplinary Multi-Leveled Tracheostomy Care Bundle
- A Designated Medical Surgical Unit Assures Excellence in the End of Life Care for Dying Patients in the Acute Care Setting
- Disaster Management Nursing
3:30-4:45 Concurrent Sessions
- Developing a New Nursing Team While Building a Positive Culture Without any Current Staff
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAs) Protocols- Innovative Tactics for Enhanced Outcomes in a Medical Surgical Unit
- Who is at Risk for Failure to Rescue? A Medical Surgical Nurses Dilemma
- We Will Survive! One Unit's Story of Recovery Following a Patient Suicide
Sunday September 16
8-9:15 General Session
Leadership Practices and Developmental needs Reported by Frontline Medical-Surgical Nurses
8-12 Poster Viewing
9:15-10 President's Address/ Closing Remarks
10:15-1:15 Concurrent Sessions
- Nursing "Cents"
- The Elephant in the Room: Opioid Withdrawal
- Detecting and Treating Delirium in the Medical Surgical Patient
- Trauma Care Beyond ABC
- A Paradigm Shift for IV Push Safety
- Multimodal Pain Management: Addressing the Opioid Epidemic at the Bedside
- Is it Normal Aging or Dementia
- Moral Distress in Medical-Surgical Nursing, What is it and How to Cope
Registration includes up to 15.25 in CEUs, access to the AMSN online library, opening reception, breakfast each morning, and one lunch and learn.
Members save $100 on registration.
Online Registration - You can use VISA, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express.
Mail: AMSN Registration, East Holly Ave, Box 56, Pitman, NJ 08071-0056
Brochures available online.
Conference Fees / Pricing Information
- Full Registration by 7/25 $460 Member | $560
- After 7/25 $525 Member | $625
- Group 3+ after 7/25 $485
- Military (id required) $460
- Student (id required) $225
- Daily Rate Friday or Sat $280 | $330
- Guest cost for opening ceremony $40
You can pay the full amount on site.
If you do not receive confirmation in one week call the AMSN National office at: 866-877-2676 or email at AMSNemail@example.com
Cancel or substitution must be done in writing at the email or address listed above less the $75 administrative fee before 8/14/18 - None will be refunded after 8/14/18.
AMSN Contact Information
East Holly Ave, Box 56
Pitman, NJ 08011-0056
Disney Coronado Springs Hotel
1000 West Buena Vista Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Check out: 11:00 a.m.
$179 single/double + taxes (currently 12.5%)
Ask for the AMSN Convention rate.
Note: The discounted convention rates are available until August 13, 2018, or until the room block is full. Reservations made after this date will be subject to space and rate availability.
Book Your Room online.
The convention grant that is offered annually and provides an opportunity for members of AMSN to attend. You must have been a member for one year and can receive only one per year. Winners will be expected to share how attendee advanced your practice. Applications are accepted between January 4, 2018 and June 20, 2018. The award is for $1000
As information becomes available, it will be posted on the website. In the meantime, consider attending this conference and improve your practice. Learn, connect, and catch some sunshine in the fun city of Orlando. Book some extra time for visiting downtown Orlando or the myriad of theme parks: Universal Studios, Hollywood Studios, Islands of Adventure, City Walk, or International Drive. Try some of the fine dining options such as Adriatico Trattoria Italiana, Chef's Table at the Edgewater, and Ray's Orlando. Shop in the many malls such as The Florida Mall.Last edit by tnbutterfly on Jul 10