Jump to content

under Live-In Caregiver Program (LCP) in Canada to take the CRNE

pik-nik pik-nik (New) New

Hi All!

I have been following the threads for quite a time already. I'm just wondering if it would be possible for me to sit in the CRNE given that I am under the LCP? I am aware that I have to apply first to become eligible to take the exam.

Also, given that I was able to take the CRNE and passed it, can I work as a nurse already? Is the work permit for LCP and IEN just the same? Thanks in advance!:)

Silverdragon102, BSN

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC. Has 33 years experience.

If you are on a work permit then the work permit is employer specific and usually if you are the main applicant will list what role you can work (this is by going on what my husband's work permit states) therefore if you get a new job as a RN then you will need to get a new TWP and will more than likely need a new LMO.

There are some IENs who have written the CRNE or in some cases the CPNRE, while working as live in care givers, After two years of live in care giving they applied for permanent residency and continued their live in care giver jobs until they obtained PR.


Edited by dishes

Thank you very much for your replies, Silverdragon and Dishes! :)

Dishes, you have mentioned about IENs who took the CRNE/CPRNE while under the LCP and continued on their jobs until they obtained PR. Does it mean that even though I have passed the CRNE, I have to continue with LCP until I get my PR, or can I look for a job as nurse already? I understand that I need 24months of continuous work under one employer to be able to apply for PR. Silverdragon also mentioned that I need to get a new TWP to be able to have a new job. It's fine with me even though I don't get the PR status in a span of two years. I just would like to work as a nurse after passing the CRNE. Is it possible? I don't want to compromise my status as a caregiver, that's why I am weighing my options properly. Thanks in advance!

Silverdragon102, BSN

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC. Has 33 years experience.

As a RN you can apply for skilled worker PR and as long as you have a job offer you can continue to work as a caregiver whilst PR is being processed and your employer is willing to wait.

Suggest you have a good read on the CIC website Immigrating to Canada

Hi pik-nik

I am not sure which province you are living in, but if you are in Ontario I encourage you to ask the staff at Care4nurses Center for Internationnaly Educated Nurses your questions, they are a great resource http://www.care4nurses.org/home/

I am glad you are taking care not to compromise your liveincaregiver position.


thanks again, Silverdragon and Dishes. :)

I really appreciate your efforts in answering my queries. God Bless!