US LPN wanting to work in Canada

  1. :spin:Hi, I don't know about everyone else, but in the US, LPN's are grunt workers. I am relocating soon to Canada and not sure if I want to pursue nursing there and if it will be worth the hassle. I understand that nursing is at a shortage in most countries,but no one seems to want to make things better. I have quite a few credits towards my RN degree but I'm now 46 and not sure what I want to do. Marrying a Canadian and moving there because my own country has decided to run and control my life. Just confused about how I meet the criteria for education requirements that might be imposed by the governing board of nursing in Canada when I will not be in status to legally study/work in Canada for awhile????? Merry Christmas everyone.
  2. Visit smileyblueiz profile page

    About smileyblueiz

    Joined: Dec '06; Posts: 1


  3. by   S.T.A.C.E.Y
    Where in Canada are you moving to? I would contact that province's licensing body, and ask about equivalency for your LPN. You may be able to write the RPN exam, but I don't think so. If you plan to stay in Canada I would apply for an RN program--BScN/BSN is the only route to go here. You will have to talk to the individual school, but you might get credit for the courses you have already taken. Also, 46 is by no means to old to start back at school. Start contacting schools ASAP about what documents you need to study here, and get started on them right away!

    And.........WELCOME TO CANADA!!!!!!
  4. by   Fiona59
    Start at They have a section for PN's educated outside of Canada and explains the process. The site will also point you in the direction of the licensing body for the province you plan to move to.

    Here in Alberta, the PN is found pretty much everywhere except ICU enviroments. The health authority I am employed with has us in active treatment, LTC, community health programmes, and in specialty clinics. OR Techs, Dialysis Assistants, and Ortho Techs are also specialties that PN's are trained to work in. Our role is ever expanding. We are insured, regulated professionals.

    As for your education, well every school has its own agenda. You'd probably get credit for the arts and science classes but not too much for the nursing classes. Alberta will graduate diploma RNs up until 2009 and one other province does the same (either Sask, or Man) but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

    If you are marrying a citizen how long will it take you until you get landed? You need to ask Immigration Canada (or whatever name it currently has) for those concerns.

    Oh and if you think the American government is intrusive, ours can be quite nosy as well.
  5. by   NURSE773
    hi have not been on this forum for a long time jsut wanted to put a update again if this can help anyone else. well she is got job in alberta edmonton wothout any problem infact everyone wanted to hire her where ever she applied. so eccepted a job offer they are willing to give her the letter from labour dept and also pay her for relocation if she signs up the contract for a year or two. so not bad. so now they are waiting for the approval from the labour dept. should have it in few weeks they say.