TN Visa for Canadian Nurse Practitioner?

  1. Hello,

    I am Canadian and have been working in the US for 5 years as an RN. I just completed my MSN (in New York) as an Adult-Gerontological Primary Care Nurse Practitioner. I currently have a TN visa. I would like to continue working here as I love my current hospital, and have applied and interviewed for some NP jobs. I know the TN visa is really for RNs, and NPs should either get an H1b or apply for permanent residence, but I am wondering if a Canadian NP has ever been successful in obtaining a TN visa? Human Resources at my hospital said "it should be okay", but I don't want to risk being refused entry, and then I cannot work even as an RN in the US. I know the best thing is to ask for Permanent Residence sponsorship, but until I get the okay from my hospital, I want to consider all options.

    Thank you for all your input on this!
  2. Visit jasonbatalha profile page

    About jasonbatalha

    Joined: Aug '16; Posts: 1


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    To be a NP you need to be a RN so I see no reason why you are not able to get a TN
  4. by   dishes
    Have you talked to an attorney? They are in the best position to advise you and check that you have the right supporting documents so that it will be less likely you will be denied.