How to work as a CNA or LPN in Canada?

  1. Hi, I've stayed in the States for a very long time. I know to be a Certified Nurse Aid in the States, you need to attend a CNA class. The class is short and jobs are plentiful. But I am not sure about how things are in Canada.

    Can anybody tell me if there is similar type of position in Canada? If yes, what it is called? And how long the training would be? Would it be difficult to find such a job?

    I think it would be nice to do such a job while I am in nursing school (If I am lucky and could get into a school at the border), to get health-care experience and get money to pay the bills.
  2. Visit rhp123 profile page

    About rhp123

    Joined: Dec '03; Posts: 312; Likes: 6


  3. by   loriangel14
    You would be looking for a personal support worker program. The one I took was about $1200. How long it takes depends on where you go.The college in my town offered it 3 days a week and it was a 8 month program. Good luck.
  4. by   loriangel14
    Or you could take an RPN course instead. Full time it is 2 years or more depending where you go.
  5. by   rhp123
    Thanks for the info.

    But that is too long. I don't think I would be able to attend that kind of program while I am at nursing school full-time.

    In the states I was looking at CNA class, it costs a lot 1200 USD, but it is only 8 weeks with Saturday only on each week.
  6. by   loriangel14
    I know all areas are different but the long term care facilities in my area also will hire people as aides with no experience. Good luck.