Auckland, NZ

  1. My husband and I are moving to Auckland in January. And I am trying to figure out my work status.

    I am a CNA in the US. I have worked in a hospital about about 6 months now.

    I am wondering what the equivalent to a CNA would be in New Zealand.
    Also can you tell me what a "practice nurse" is and an "enrolled nurse".

    These many be silly questions but I have been on the 'net for hours and my brain is not functioning..
    Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

    Also if anyone lives in Auckland and can fill me in on the city or the hospitals or where I should look for employment, I would appreciate it.

    Thanks so much dear friends of
  2. Visit smg profile page

    About smg

    Joined: Apr '02; Posts: 35


  3. by   renerian
    I just chatted with a friend trying to get her hubby to Australia and she was told it could take up to one year. Did you start your immigration paperwork?

  4. by   smg
    No, we have not.
    We are trying to figure out if it is a possibility to stay here within his company.

    So we are probably going to have some problems??
  5. by   Kiwi Rochelle
    Hi there, here's some info about working in Nz that you might find useful. I presume by CNA you mean you are a certified nurse assistant. I'm sure you could get plenty of work as what we call a nurse aid in a hospital or caregiver in a resthome (elderly care). In answer to your question a Practice Nurse is a nurse, usually a RN, who works in a doctors surgery. An Enrolled Nurse is a nurse who has done shorter training and works under guidance of an RN, Like what you would call a LPN. I would advise you to look up the auckland district health board website to see what positions they have available. Good Luck!
  6. by   leprecaun
    hope you see this post!
    Just contact the worldwide nurses agency and they will put you straight on all you need to know and have to work in NZ.
    I think they have a web site online alternatively go through Nurses international. Or try Oxley agency, although it is an Australian agency they can connect u with the others. Basically you need a valid passport, working visa and a hospital that will sponsor you if you dont go through an agency. Auckland is limited but south Island new Zealand has many many hospitals and hostels screaming out for staff. good Luck