Published May 31, 1999
The trend towards lower cost Health Maintenance Organizations has many Americans worried. Here are the "Top 31 Signs You've Joined a Cheap HMO"
1. Pedal-powered dialysis machines.
2. Use of antibiotics deemed an "unauthorized experimental procedure,"
3. Head-wound victim in the waiting room is on the last chapter of "War and Peace,"
4. You ask for Viagra. You get a popsicle stick and duct tape.
5. Annual breast exam conducted at Hooters.
6. Exam room has a tip jar.
7. You swear you saw salad tongs and a crab fork on the instrument tray just before the anesthesia kicked in.
8. "Will you be paying in eggs or pelts?"
9. Tight budget prevents acquisition of separate rectal thermometers.
10. "Take two leeches and call me in the morning,"
11. The company logo features a hand squeezing a bleeding turnip.
12. Tongue depressors taste faintly of Fudgesicle.
13. Covered postnatal care consists of leaving your baby on Mia Farrow's doorstep.
14. Radiation treatment for cancer patients requires them to walk around with a postcard from Chernobyl in their pocket.
15. "Pre-natal vitamin" prescription is a box of Tic-Tacs.
16. Chief Surgeon graduated from University of Benihana.
17. Directions to your doctor's office include, "take a left when you enter the trailer park,"
18. Doctor listens to your heart through a paper towel tube.
19. Only item listed under Preventive Care feature of coverage is "an apple a day."
20. Only participating Physicians are Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine.
21. Only proctologist in the plan is "Gus" from Roto-Rooter.
22. Plan covers only "group" gynecological exams.
23. Preprinted prescription pads that say "Walk it off, you sissy."
24. To avoid a time consuming and expensive throat culture, the doctor just French kisses you.
25. Recycled bandages.
26. You can get your flu shot as soon as "the" hypodermic needle is dry.
27. Your "primary care physician" is wearing the pants you gave to goodwill last month.
28. 24-hour claims line is 1-800-TUF-LUCK
29. Costly MRI equipment efficiently replaced by an oversized 2-sided copier.
30. Enema? The lavatory faucet swivels to face upward.
31. The anesthesiologist has an English phrase book in his pocket.
[This message has been edited by cdoncrna (edited June 15, 1999).]
Those are great!!!
How about these: (some are duplicates)
TEN SIGNS YOU'VE JOINED A CHEAP HMO
#10. Your annual breast exam is conducted at Hooters.
#9. Directions to your doctor's office include, "take a left when you
enter the trailer park."
#8. The tongue depressors taste faintly of Fudgesicles.
#7. The only proctologist in the plan is "Gus" from Roto-Rooter.
#6. The only item listed under Preventive Care coverage is "an apple a
#5. Your "primary care physician" is wearing the pants you gave to
#4. "The patient is responsible for 200% of out-of-network charges" is
#3. The only expense covered 100% is embalming fluid.
#2. With your last HMO, your Prozac didn't come in different colors with
little "m"s on them.
And the Number 1 Sign You've Joined a Cheap HMO . . .
#1. You ask for Viagra; you get a popsicle stick and duct tape
[This message has been edited by laugh (edited January 15, 2001).]
Create well-written care plans that meets your patient's health goals.
This study guide will help you focus your time on what's most important.
Choosing a specialty can be a daunting task and we made it easier.
By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X