How to get controlled substance II specialty on NP Furnishing License


  • Specializes in Family. Has 8 years experience.

Hi Guys,

I wanted to share this issue that I am having regarding my NP furnishing license to maybe get some insight from others.  My NPF was approved about two months ago and when I went to apply for my DEA license (schedule II - V), I was told that I did not have the controlled substance II specialty with my NPF and therefore do not have schedule II prescribing privileges.  I went to United States University, which is an online California based NP Program.  Their advanced pharmacology course is supposed to meet the controlled substance requirement.  When I contacted the BRN, I was told that I would have to pay an additional $300 for the CANP Controlled Substance II course.  Is there anyone here who have graduated from a California based NP Program and still have to take the CANP CSII course?  Or if you have encountered this same issue, how did you go about resolving it?

Specializes in Occupational Health. Has 19 years experience.

I would recommend that you contact the school and see if they can be of assistance