Jump to content

Hepatitus B confusion ...

Posted

so with any and all schools, you need your vaccines up to date.

i was not born in USA, so i had a little bit of trouble with my shots at the beginning of my community college registration. but i took all three shots already about 3-4 years ago. so now i get into nursing school this fall semester, and prior to that, they needed my labs and proof of shot and assorted medical records.

the director told me that i need my Hepatitus B titer, and that it is over due. i need it to still be able to go to clinical at the hospital. so i show my doctor the note that she left me, saying i need my hepatitus B titer, and she writes me a prescription saying that i took my first two out of three shots. the first shot, the end of september, the second shot in october. the third shot, i am scheduled to take in april.

problem with that is i gave the director the prescription notes already saying that i took my first two shots in october and am awaiting the third and final one in april, and i explained that to my doctor already, but assured me that is all i need. im confused. :crying2:. what is it that i need?? do i need more blood drawn to show my "immunity" to Hepatitus B or do i need to wait until the third shot to get the blood drawn??

the worst thing about it is i didnt get this notice until thursday because i do not go to school until then. and my doctor was not available friday, and is closed on weekends :crying2::crying2:. any advice or anything to help, thank you.

The titer results will give them the amount of hepatitis antibodies available in your blood now after 2 shots. If you had 2 shots you most likely have a good amount of immunity, some people even have enough after 2 shots and don't need the third. If that is all your school school wants, it is very easy and once you give them the titer results you will be fine. I am not sure why your doctor did not do this for you since he knows a prescription is not a titer result, maybe he was trying to save you money (not sure if your insurance pays for it??)

so with any and all schools, you need your vaccines up to date.

i was not born in USA, so i had a little bit of trouble with my shots at the beginning of my community college registration. but i took all three shots already about 3-4 years ago. so now i get into nursing school this fall semester, and prior to that, they needed my labs and proof of shot and assorted medical records.

the director told me that i need my Hepatitus B titer, and that it is over due. i need it to still be able to go to clinical at the hospital. so i show my doctor the note that she left me, saying i need my hepatitus B titer, and she writes me a prescription saying that i took my first two out of three shots. the first shot, the end of september, the second shot in october. the third shot, i am scheduled to take in april.

problem with that is i gave the director the prescription notes already saying that i took my first two shots in october and am awaiting the third and final one in april, and i explained that to my doctor already, but assured me that is all i need. im confused. :crying2:. what is it that i need?? do i need more blood drawn to show my "immunity" to Hepatitus B or do i need to wait until the third shot to get the blood drawn??

the worst thing about it is i didnt get this notice until thursday because i do not go to school until then. and my doctor was not available friday, and is closed on weekends :crying2::crying2:. any advice or anything to help, thank you.

Why are you repeating the series if you had it already 3 or 4 years ago? Just curious why you didn't get titers done instead of redoing the series. If you really did do the series once already you probably wont have to go back for the 3rd shot once they see your titers

thanks for the replies, everyone. i appreciate the feedback.

and sorry for getting back so late on this topic, but work and studying got to me the past 72 hours :sniff::sniff:

i told my doctor already about the blood work needed, just the HEP B titer REDONE. i got that titer done on july (with other blood work) and it showed that my HEP B is "not active" which is why i have to take it again, the shots. the first and second shot were done already, the past 2 months. im due for the last one in april.

now, heres the kicker. i went to my doctor today after she had her little vacation and i spoke to her that all i needed was my HEP B titer test and lab results redone so i just asked her for a script to do the test. she then explained to me that i already took the first two shots, and that the HEP B wont show active in my blood for another month so its point less to draw more blood if it wont even show and that the scripts for the first two shots being done is good enough.

problem is, it is not. my director of the school really wants the labs or else i cannot get into clinical this week at the hospital floor. and i am only allowed one absent which i already took this previous friday and the more days im not in clinical means big trouble.

so i wrote the director a letter about what happened and enclosed the scripts and the lab results done in july 2009 which show the HEP B INACTIVE in my blood, which is why im taking the shots again.

oh and i have full insurance coverage so my doctor is not trying to save me money. im ok in that part of my problem. ill keep you guys posted on what happens in case someone else is going thru this same thing. but right now, it seems like ill be missing hospital clinical this thursday-friday :cry: